Brined fresh ham - Take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick - the brine was plain old salt,sugar,rub. It was 17#
John - A country ham is actually cured and then smoked and then dried. A fresh ham is just that a plain raw pig leg. :!:

Just wondering why did you Brine the Ham. Do you Brine your Pork Butts/Shoulders. I BBQ a fresh ham last summer and cooked it like a Butt/Sholder. it took forever to cook but came out Great. I actually prefered the taste of the Ham to a Shoulder I thought that the meat was sweeter. I am curently Smoking my Easter Ham Cured/Brined with Nitrates real low tem 120 deg 12hrs 145deg w Smoke for 8 and then 165 till the internal temp is done.

ham

Did you get the more traditonal ham flavor by brineing it? Some of the flavor of the Traditional ham comes from the use of nitrates to cure it. I once took a piece of pork loin that I was curing to make canadian baccon (I buy a whole loin and cut it into 3rds and Cure it in a 5 gallon bucket ) and put it on the BBQ pit with Bacon on top and Smoked it like Q 250 deg, the others I smoked in my Electric at real low tems 120 deg 145 deg 165 deg to make Canadian Bacon. The results were great I made pulled pork with a taste of traditional ham. I'm going to try the same thing tomarrow with the Shank of the Ham I am doing for Easter.
DISCLAIMER:I only use the electric smoker for Cured meats. I would never do BBQ on it. For BBQ I only use Charcoal/Wood.

Back
Top Bottom