Easy Chicken Tortilla Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Ingredients
2 to 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken (maybe 2 to 3 breasts)
A bag of Small Corn Tortillas
Chicken broth or stock
1 - 28 ounce can of Rotel Diced tomatoes & chilis (or two small cans)
1 - 3.8 Ounce of sliced black olives, drained (about one full cup)
1 - 15 ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup of finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley if no cilantro on hand)
3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

In a separate pan..pour about a cup of the broth and then let a stack of tortillas soak in it for a few minutes.

Take an Oven safe baking dish ( a deep one) and spray with Pam. Then, pour a couple of ounces of chicken sotck in it. Layer the corn tortillas on the bottom, letting them soak up the broth. Cut the tortillas to fit the pan. make seamless layer.

Then, put a thin layer of the rotel Diced tomatoes, followed by a sprinkling of the shredded chicken, a sprinkle of onions, a sprinkle of cilantro, a sprinkle of olives, a sprinkle of beans, and a light sprinkle of cheese.

Then remove some of the tortillas that have been soaking and make another seamless layer and repeat as above. Usually you get two or three layers of ingredients. make sure you reserve at least one cup of the cheese to put on the top layer. When you get to the top layer of tortillas, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and then bake in a 350 Degree Oven for one hour. If you have leftover broth and feel the casserole could use the moisture, crefully add it before putting in to bake.

Casserole should have a crisp crust on top but have tender layers that are easy to cut through. About the onions - some folks prefer to saute them beofre layring them. That helps eliminate some of the indigestion some folks might get from bulb vegetables.

VARIATION: add very small and conservative dollops of sour cream (or cream cheaese) to each layer. I sometimes do that. You can also add green onions.

The beauty of this casserole is that it takes very little time to assemble and requires nothing more than a hot oven. try it the next time you have leftover chicken. I always make sure to have canned olives and Rotel tomatoes & chilis on hand for when I need a quick dinner.

If you don't have leftover chicken - just parboil 3 breasts of chicken until done, allow to cool, rinse and then shred. This recipe doubles and triples well. The casserole can be made a day in advance and reheated. great for Potluck or for bringing as a gift to someone who is ill, just had a baby or a family that is grieving.

Finney said:
Captain Morgan said:
That sounds good enough to make me shake my bear butt.
Is that "bear" butt, or "bare" butt?
Nevermind....

Please don't let him have a webcam... please, please don't let him have a webcam. [-o< [-o< [-o< Greg would post it.
And you'd be the 1st to sign up! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :eek:

I'm so VERY glad you liked it! I make this at least once a month at our house. You can use leftover BBQ pulled pork in place of the chicken. I prolly should have stated to use Corn Tortillas..maybe I did.. I dunno. it's better with Corn tortillas although flour will work as well.

I'm thrilled that you tried it!

so Mentalman, did you try the Casserole? Couldn't tell from your post. Carl went and posted the recipe on his website and then recommended it to a friend of his at AOL cooks and had it posted there and so on and so on. The latest place to get this recipe and like it is the walmart cooking magazine HOMEMADE. I believe it might be published in their summer 2006 edition.

Out of all the recipes I've created or adapted over the years, this was NOT the one I thought would go the farthest but it has. :!: My specialty is Irish-American and Irish Cuisine.

Sorry I haven't been posting in a long time. I'll try and get back on track this weekend with a bunchof new recipes I've tried out over the past few months. This week's big triumph was a Southwestern Carrot Gratin Soufflè. I'll get to posting that tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom