ny strip steaks I salted on the outside before cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodman3222

Senior Cook
I found this info. I took a strip steak used kosher salt very thick on out side of steak. Let set for 15 min. Washed of salt dryed with a paper towel. Cooked on grill as normal. I did 2 steaks from the same loin. 1 I salted the other I did not. Salted seemed to be more tender than the not salted steak. Salted steak had a real nice taste.

Here is the link

http://www.steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/ ... me-steaks/

Remember on the kosher salt..after 24 hrs it aint kosher no more less you can find a Rabbi to re-bless it. Learnt that from the truck drivers who haul swinging beef to Hasidic Jews in New Yawk City. If they break down and dont meet the deadline they have to call out the Rabbi to the scene and it costs a bunch of money. Think the second blessing is mo expunsive than the first one.

bigwheel

lantern said:
Are you saying that you didn't salt one at all and then used the uber salt technique on the other?

I'd have salted one like I always do (5-10 mins before) and then used the uber salt technique on the other. That would have given me the info I needed as I already knew I liked a seasoned steak better than an unseasoned one. :LOL: ;)

Just goofing with ya...I'll give it a try for the hell of it. :)

Let me know how you liked it.

bigwheel said:
Remember on the kosher salt..after 24 hrs it aint kosher no more less you can find a Rabbi to re-bless it. Learnt that from the truck drivers who haul swinging beef to Hasidic Jews in New Yawk City. If they break down and dont meet the deadline they have to call out the Rabbi to the scene and it costs a bunch of money. Think the second blessing is mo expunsive than the first one.

bigwheel
I was a rabbi once on Halloween. I was hoping that would work to keep my salt Kosher.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I was on vacation and have been doing catch up on work since we have been back.

I put the salt on and let it set on steak until the salt starts to turn clear depending on temp of the meat, thickness of the meat, temp in the room you are doing the salting in, it can take deferent amounts of time. I have done it anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Make sure you dry the meat off with a paper towel to get the grease from the meat off before salting. When washing salt off pat dry again. This does not make the meat dry but it does seem to make it tenderer and puts a nice flavor to the meat also. If you keep the salt on to long it changes the flavor of the meat to a taste that I do not like.

Some friends of mine tried salting the meat and they did not like it. I had them over for dinner and showed them how I did it and they loved it. It sounded like they had kept the salt on to long. I do not wait to all the salt has turned clear. Just some of it. Hope this helps you out.

WOW! Nine months from the first post to a reply. It was either a helleva vacation or you had a LOT of catch up at work! Thanks for the answer!

If any one here has ever had brazilian bbq (Churrasco) that's exactly what they do. 15-20 minutes using rock salt, then they cook the meat. And while the meet is cooking the pat on the meet so the salt comes off.

Its the best meat I've ever tasted next to prime rib.

woodman3222 said:
I found this info. I took a strip steak used kosher salt very thick on out side of steak. Let set for 15 min. Washed of salt dryed with a paper towel. Cooked on grill as normal. I did 2 steaks from the same loin. 1 I salted the other I did not. Salted seemed to be more tender than the not salted steak. Salted steak had a real nice taste.

Here is the link

http://www.steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/ ... me-steaks/

I tried the same process on some NY strips last summer. I took them out about 1 hr before grill time. Salted them with Kosher salt. Let them set for 1 hr on the counter. Rinsed, dried, and cooked. Like Woodman said they came out tender and had a great taste.

There was another thread on this running around here somewhere. I tried it too and it seemed to work good. Not sure why I keep forgetting to do it again. Seems like maybe my Kosher salt needs re-blessing or something like that. I dont know any rabbis who would come over to do that. I hang out mostly with Christians and heathern devil dawgs.

bigwheel

Adrnalnrsh said:
If any one here has ever had brazilian bbq (Churrasco) that's exactly what they do. 15-20 minutes using rock salt, then they cook the meat. And while the meet is cooking the pat on the meet so the salt comes off.

Its the best meat I've ever tasted next to prime rib.

I've been trying to find out what type of wood they use for their smoking. Big here in TO with the Brazillian and Portugese folks. All are hesitant to give up the secret, but it smells great and haven't been able to reproduce that taste.

Back
Top Bottom