Montreal Smoked Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
I found this recipe for Montreal Smoked meat here.

Smoke for 20 - 30 minutes doesn't sound long enough to me. I'm thinking to maybe do the wine step in a roaster on the smoker, skip the foil then remove it from the roaster.

Anyway here it is:

CC'S Montreal Smoked Meat
Yield: 6

Nothing says Montreal liked a Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich! Serve piled high slivers of smoked meat between 2 slices of rye bread with loads of mustard. If you don't want to go through the long process of cooking and smoking the brisket - use the Montreal Spice Mix as a rub on steaks or roasts.
Ingredients:

Montreal Spice Mix

2 tsp peppercorns (10 ml)
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (7 ml)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (7 ml)
2 tsp fennel seeds (10 ml)
1 tsp mustard seeds (5 ml)
1 tsp dry mustard powder (5 ml)
1 tbsp celery seeds (15 ml)
2 x allspice berries
1 tbsp smoked paprika (15 ml)
2 x cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar (30 ml)
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt (22 ml)

Montreal Smoked Meat

3 lb. beef brisket, with fat on (1136 grams)
1 cup red wine (250 ml)
3 slices double smoked bacon
2 cups wood chips (such as apple, cherry or maple), soak in water for 5 minutes (500 ml)

Directions:

Montreal Spice Mix
Over medium heat, toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds mustard seeds, allspice berries, celery seeds in a small sauté pan or cast iron frying pan until fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes. Grind spices coarsely in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Combine with the ground spices with the dry mustard powder, smoked paprika, garlic, brown sugar and kosher salt.

Montreal Smoked Meat
Rub ½ of the spice mixture all over the brisket. Let brisket sit for 1 hour or overnight so flavour permeates the meat.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Fit the rack of a roasting pan into a roasting pan. Add wine to the roasting pan. Put the brisket on the rack. Cover the brisket with the slices of bacon. Cover with foil. Slow cook for 3 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove from oven. Add remaining spice mixture. Smoke brisket with the wood chips in a smoker over low flame according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 20 to 30 minutes. Alternatively use your barbecue to smoke the meat. Wrap the wood chips loosely with foil paper. Poke holes in the foil paper. Add wood chips to barbecue on medium high heat. When chips start to smoke turn grill to low heat. Put meat on upper part of grill.

So the pic at the posted link looks like well done oven roasted beef. But real Montreal Smoked meat is pink through and through, not just a smoke ring.

On the Schwartze's site they mention 'marinated for 10 days' ... I wonder if they marinate in red wine for 10 days and that is what causes the color. They say they don't use chemicals, so no Tender Quick then ...

Um, wouldn't 10 days in the fridge be a bit of a problem?

Anybody know why it's pink all the way through or what they might be talking about with this 'marinated for 10 days' bit?

Shawn White said:
So the pic at the posted link looks like well done oven roasted beef. But real Montreal Smoked meat is pink through and through, not just a smoke ring.

On the Schwartze's site they mention 'marinated for 10 days' ... I wonder if they marinate in red wine for 10 days and that is what causes the color. They say they don't use chemicals, so no Tender Quick then ...

Um, wouldn't 10 days in the fridge be a bit of a problem?

Anybody know why it's pink all the way through or what they might be talking about with this 'marinated for 10 days' bit?

I thought they were referring to the French Canadians! :)

Shawn White said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":1k2et2pk]I thought they were referring to the French Canadians! :)

They do like their wine :grin:[/quote:1k2et2pk]
That was whine, right?? :razz:

Back
Top Bottom