London Broil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Kruger

Senior Cook
This is one of myriad possibilities. I think flank makes the best LB, but top round is a good choice. Thick is good. 1.5" or better. Try to find meat of even thickness. If you're cooking for several people you're better off getting a few of even thickness than one large one that tapers down dramatically.

3/4 c balsamic vinegar reduced to 1/2 c or just go with 1/2 c
1/4 c dry red wine
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed, mashed to a paste
2 Tbls olive oil
1 Tbls soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp salt
several turns of a peppermill

Blend all well by hand or in a blender. Marinate the meat at least 5 hours, overnight is better. Grill, broil, or pan fry on high heat till medium-rare. (I wouldn't go more than 130 internal though.)

Rest 5-10 min. Slice against the grain on the bias (for the widest slices). Good with good ol' mashed potaotes and a pile of sweet cherry tomatoes, halved and salted.

thanks very much Kevin .... sounds great .... since I can't grill or smoke at my apartment I'll try this under the broiler this weekend (maybe sneak a bit o' liquid smoke or used hickory smoked salt in the marinade)

I forgot you had the apartment thing happening.

I also forgot (in my post in the LB thread) that LB was originally a pan-fried method; so long out of favor I didn't remember it till today. Absent a grill I'd definitely broil. Hickory-smoked salt is a fine idea. Some mushrooms you've marinated then sprinkled with hickory salt could go into the broiler while the meat's resting. Mmm.

Nick Prochilo said:
Is it just me or does everybodies mouth water with Kevins reciepes?
Yeah, me too, and I get a double dose of it reading TVWB! :-D

Back
Top Bottom