Chuck Clod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigAL

Sous Chef
I need to make pulled beef for nieces' HS graduation, and 2 of their friends, party in mid May. I gotta start now cause it gets very busy in April on due to planting and wheat harvest. The liked the pulled beef we made for them and wanted it again. So I'm cook'n for about 300 people for a come & go type event for all 3 families(nieces are fraternal twins). They think about 100#'s raw should do it, I was think'n closer to 150# but I always make too much, I just don't want to be short.

Anyway, bought a case(79.8#'s) of chuck clods. Only 4 in the case and one looks to be only about 10#'s. Never done a whole clod so I'm try'n it today and we will see
how these turn out. Started the smoker at about 4 and got everything on at about 5. I'll keep updating as the day goes on.

I also added a pic of what we are eating tonight, wanted to do it last night but the kids wanted to go to a movie. We will see how it goes and how many die. Only 15#'s but I just can't take it anymore. I need some crawfish.

img_234574_0_de6f3fc3d15144ad4c95438992b05634.jpg

img_234574_1_ee966932dbc5e333c424dce7511f46e9.jpg

img_234574_2_36c4ccacb251220bfe78e24f9f86fc6d.jpg

img_234574_3_dbe011ffedcb83b84d140c6941daa6ce.jpg

Did trim some of the silver skin, smoke'n fat down at about 235. Each one takes up half of my Louisiana Whole Hog smoker, to give you an idea on how big they are.

My rubs are easy. I rub down with Dales or worchest sauce, then add k.salt, then garlic pwdr, then a good dose of ground pepper(I used fresh ground for the first time), then I add Tony's, then top off with another dose of blk pepper again. I like this for brisket, chuck roasts, strip sub primals, prime rib, etc.

Thanks for look'n. Blah right now, hope it gets better.

Looks good. Course we dont do pulled beef or chickens here in God's Country..Texas of course. Our standards are low but we do have some ya know? I would cook those clods till they was done then slice em up thin with a slicer and throw em in a Nesco roaster and cover with the cheapest bbq sauce you can find. Pile it high and deep on a small white bun. Old fella tole me this trick many moons ago. He had made a good living in the bbq sandwich bizness since Old Shep was still a pup. He used either clods or knuckles. I forget which right now. He claimed to get them in 9 lb hunks then he would offset cook them with mesquite for 9 hours at around 250 before the slicing operation.

Texans, :roll: , and I thought Okies were bad. ;) :LOL: BW, we don't have to put bbq sauce on our meat, it's good right out of the smoker. :D BTW, we are w.KS, not that sweet ketchup sauce from eastern KS.

Bbquzz - I'm no butcher, but from what I know the clod is like the whole chuck shoulder(boneless). Chuck roasts, chuck eye steaks are some that are cut from the clod. Someone here will know alot more than me.

Didn't get many pix. But here are a few. Have the other 2 clods from the case in the smoker now. Try to get more/better pix from them.

img_234631_0_952af6bd441be5acafeade3ebb5e60c0.jpg

img_234631_1_45eb291010c60a33cac54b8f72cd7627.jpg

img_234631_2_f1aae70a0aef0958afcae9541ecb0027.jpg

img_234631_3_a807e6f3ee411632f2ee5c2370823066.jpg

Fine job young man. Now that is the longest grain I ever seen on a chunk of beef. Looks like a person could peel it outta there with a fork sorta like Sphagetti Squash. You might want to figger out which way it tends to run and cut it 90 degrees across as opposed to parallel. Should make it less apt to strangle a person to death trying to swallow it. Now this apply mainly to old geezers with missing teeth:)

bigwheel said:
Fine job young man. Now that is the longest grain I ever seen on a chunk of beef. Looks like a person could peel it outta there with a fork sorta like Sphagetti Squash. You might want to figger out which way it tends to run and cut it 90 degrees across as opposed to parallel. Should make it less apt to strangle a person to death trying to swallow it. Now this apply mainly to old geezers with missing teeth:)

That is why I posted that pic, was just a big piece of meat. Those chunks would have worked good on a hot dog bun, but nothing else. They are think'n slider size so will have to do more chop'n when we find out the size of the buns.

Don't know if I said this here or not, but the worst part about doing the whole clod is to get that big mussle(in the pic) to be tender, the chuck eye steak area gets overdone. Wife liked it, but I thought it was too "mushy".

Back
Top Bottom