Cajun meat loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
:shock:
Loaf ingrediants

2lbs ground chuck
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup pet milk
1/2 can stewed diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomatoe juice from above can
1 onion rough dice
1 bell pepper rouch dice
1 stick celrey chopped
1tbsp worstershire sauce
4 toes garlic pressed
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper

mix above with hands & form a loaf, if its too dry add a egg,
place in baking dish, top with strips of bacon,
bake @ 350 covered for about an hour or till 160* internal.

Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp catsup
the rest of the can diced tomatoes & juice
mix togeather

Remove from oven pour on topping and continue baking another 30 to 45 min uncovered

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... 030206.jpg

Hi wboggs
All cajun food doesn't have to hot, now spicey yes, I have cut back on the heat in my recipes cause my youngest Daughter & wife don't like stuff too hot, one can allways add a few splashes of hot sauce to taste.
I used to make meatloaf with sauted veggies but I like the taste of the veggies cooking in the loaf (It changes the flavor for the better, try it)
Its kinda like the difference tween a burger with raw onion & one with sauted onion, It's a personal thang
One note I do add wortershire sauce in mine I'll have to edit the post.
also notice I'm using bacon instead of sausage & that grease cooks into the loaf giving a marvlous flavor. Sumthin bout bacon fat makes me go mmmm yummy

Now when I think of cajun food I think of celery for some reason...of which I dont mind in moderation in most dishes (with one major exception being chili..gag..heave..sputter..puke). I have seen quite a few yankee chili which calls for celery and that just aint Kosher. Now when using the Trinity always fondly recall whut Justeen say which is...celery and bell peppas is flavor killers (meaning they will overwhelm the flavor of the other stuff real easy)..whereas onyawns is flavor boosters. So if you want to make up the trinity...use all the onyawns you want but only half as much peppas and celery as you got onyawns. Now that makes sense. You do not want them in equal proportions..no.

bigwheel

I rember Justin Wilson very well, seemed he also said sumthin bout bay leaf mixed with _____? is over powerin you kin use one but not both in a recipe.
wboggs some cajun dishes Boiled seafood for instance is spicy & hot. You gotta beware of bars havin free crawfish boils. Them slick owners will pour the cayane pepper in by the bucket so you drink more. & if ya don't already know southerners kin genraley drink like fishes anyways. ;)

Not allways see the post in pork section for cochon de lait (pig roast) not every thin we make is spicy hot ,,most all seafood is though. Then again its all a mater of personal taste. For instance I don't like sweet cornbread.

Well I recall the prohibition of combining two herbs but didnt hear it from Justeen. It come from a nice Eyetalian lady from New Yawk City and had to do with meatballs. Seemed like maybe her version was dont combine parsley with oregeano or something like that. I dont think she used bay leaves. Maybe there is more than one combo that aint good to be mixed? Yeah...that must be the ticket.

bigwheel

bigwheel

007bond-jb said:
I rember Justin Wilson very well, seemed he also said sumthin bout bay leaf mixed with _____? is over powerin you kin use one but not both in a recipe.
wboggs some cajun dishes Boiled seafood for instance is spicy & hot. You gotta beware of bars havin free crawfish boils. Them slick owners will pour the cayane pepper in by the bucket so you drink more. & if ya don't already know southerners kin genraley drink like fishes anyways. ;)

Back
Top Bottom