Brisket Point 'Colorado'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Kruger

Senior Cook
I made this earlier this evening. Late in the day I realized I hadn't thought about dinner, took a quick scan of the fridge and saw the leftover point from Friday's supper as well as some pineapple in a bowl, and here's the result. The pineapple really brings out the best in dried chilies I think. A little sugar helps boost the tomato--but don't use too much. I served it over plain white rice.

1 leftover point end of a barbecued beef brisket, some fat removed, cut into large cubes (mine was probably 1-1 1/2 lbs), or an equvalent

4 onions, peeled and sliced thinly

2 Tbls olive oil

2 tsp salt

2 tsp dried thyme

2-3 Tbls white wine or water

4 Ancho chili peppers, stemmed, split, seeds shaken out

4 NM chili peppers, stemmed, split, seeds shaken out

1/2-3/4 c low-sodium chicken stock

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp minced fresh ginger

2 tsp ground cumin

1 can beer (I had a Bud in the fridge)

1 can diced tomatoes in juice

1/2-3/4 c diced fresh pineapple with juice (or use a small can of pineapple tidbits packed in juice)

2-3 tsp sugar

Heat a large dry skillet over med heat till hot, about 4-5 min. Add the peppers and toast till fragrant, flipping them periodically, about 3-4 min.
Put them in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water till soft, about 1 hour, weighing down the peppers with a plate to keep them submerged. Drain.*

Heat the oil in a large pot over med-high heat till shimmering; add the onions, stir, and cook till onions soften, about 7-10 min. Add the salt and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, till the onions are well-browned and sticking in spots to the pot, about 15 min longer. Deglaze the pot with the wine, stirring and scraping the pot bottom to loosen all the flavorful bits, allowing the wine to reduce till almost gone. Remove the pot from the heat. Remove half the onions in the pot to a blender and add the softened chilies. Turn on the blender and pour in the chicken stock a few tablespoons at a time, till the peppers are very well pureed and thick, about the consistency of thick sour cream.

Return the pot with the remaining onions to the stove on medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and cumin, and cook till fragrant, about 1 min. Add the pepper puree, stir well, and add the beer and canned diced tomatoes with their juices. Increase heat to med-high, bring to a simmer, and add the diced pineapple and its juice. Add 2 tsp sugar, stir well, add the brisket cubes, stir, then cover. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Taste and adjust salt and sugar if needed. Serve over white rice.

* The water remaining in the bowl when peppers are rehydrated is sometimes bitter, especially when Anchos are used, which is why I did not use it to make the puree. If you wish to use it instead taste it first for bitterness.

Man Kevin, you post the best reciepes. My mouth waters as I read them! Thansk for this one, now I can't wait to have leftover brisket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom