Bigwheel's Jaunine Eyetalian Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Got some rave reviews on these last night so thought I might as well pass it along:

2 lbs lean ground beef (also works well with half bulk eyetalian sausage)
1 cup Progresso Eyetalian bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 T. granulated onyawn
1/2 cup grated parmesiam cheese
1 "head" fresh garlic
1 t. dry basil
1 t. mixed eyetalian seasoning
1 T. kosher salt
1 t. black peppa
4 small cans tomater sauce
1 small can tomater paste
1 med size can stewed tomaters with juice (ran through the blender)
2 t. sugar
1 t. msg

Moisten the bread crumbs with enough water to make a paste and set aside. Peel and chop the garlic and toss it into a big bowl and smush it up with the salt using a fork or spoon to get it pulverized. Add all the spices except the sugar..and keep working it. Add the eggs and cheese and mangle them up good. Add the breadcrumbs and the meat and squish it up good with your hands as if making a meat loaf. Dump all the tomater products into a big non-stick electric skillet and get it heating up..add the sugar to the tomater slurry (a small touch of red wine works well in place of the sugar if you got some wine). Add water to get it the consistency you like..I prob added about a cup or so of water to mine. Form the meat into balls about 1 inch in diameter and dunk them into the tomater stuff. Poach them slowly with a lid for about an hour flipping them over occasionally. If any grease accumlates on top dip it out with a spoon. I did not notice any grease in this batch. Adjust the tomater goop for salt and peppa shortages. Serve in the form of meatball sandwiches on hoagie rolls with some of the sauce slathered onto the bread and shedded Provolone cheese on top (would also taste purty good over spahgetti I think). They so good it will make you want to slap somebody's mama.

bigwheel

This sounds really good! I just might have to try it soon! I make a lot of sweet and sour meatballs but haven't tried any Italian. I love meatball subs!

Well hope you do get around to giving it a try sometime. Fed 5 adults and 5 ravenous chillins on 2 lbs of meat. Staggered into the kitchen about 4 AM and found 3 meatballs they had missed which had been sitting out since supper. Course I gobbled them down. I aint real health conscious ya know? It's mo betta to throw it up than throw it out. Right?

bigwheel

allie said:
This sounds really good! I just might have to try it soon! I make a lot of sweet and sour meatballs but haven't tried any Italian. I love meatball subs!

Back
Top Bottom