Vinegar sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Bob Garner's "North Carolina Barbecue, Flavored by Time."

Basic Eastern North Carolina Sauce

2 quarts apple cider vinegar
2 oz crushed red pepper
2 tblspns salt
1 tblspns black pepper

Mix well.

Lexington Style Dip

3 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
1/2 cup catsup
2 tblspns Texas Pete
1 teaspn salt
1 teaspn black pepper
1 teaspn Woos sauce
1 teaspn onion powder
2 teaspn Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce

Simmer over med heat util sugar melts.

Piedmont style cole slaw

1 medium head of cabbage
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup catsup
2 teaspns salt
2 " black pepper
2 " Texas Pete

Blend sauce first, then add to chopped cabbage.

LOL! It was ok..I've tried it twice now ~ Must be an acquired taste...Does get better each time though..

I think I just put too much on the 1st time..Not hard when it pours like water. LOL! The taste is actually quite good, but obviously different. I'm working on it!

Bill,
You need to drill a small hole in the lid (approx 1/8" dia). Preferably when lid is not on bottle.
Then you cover the hole with your finger to shake the sauce up... then shake it on your pork. Once you use your first bottle, keep the lid with the hole in it for use there after. Keep it stored with the lid without the hole and swap lids when you want to use.

Raine said:
What you need is a little NC sauce.

sauce.jpg

That is a vinegar based sauce, Raine?? If it is, I will get some! :D

Captain Morgan said:
Great, now there's 3 regions in NC!

WHAT?!?! You think there was only two?!?! :???:
Actually as far as BBQ goes... it's more like 4.
Eastern, Piedmont, Western, and Lexington.
5 if you want to count that small area in NC that makes a mustard base sauce. But that's more of a SC thing.
;)

all righty then educate me on the difference between Western, Piedmont and Lex.....and western better not be that heavy catsup stuff they serve in the mountains....that ain't Carolina...almost all those guys are from
FLORIDA!!!

Just one more reason why eastern rules, there's only one basic recipe.
Although I do enjoy the thin vins with a little catsup....just sticking up for my birthrite! So which of the 3 you mentioned is the thin vin with just a little of the red stuff?

As I have tried to tell you before... As you go further west you get more catsup in the sauce.

The exception is the Lexington Style sauce. It is thin as water (okay... thin as vinegar). It is almost the same thing as the Eastern Style. A hint of tomato and paprika to give it better color and a little flavor.

Eastern Style as you know is vinegar with some seasonings.

I would say Raine's is a good example of Piedmont Style as he said it was half vinegar.

Yes Western Style is more catsup based than any of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom