vegetarian bbq?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
So apparently, this is my punishment for making fun of vagitarians. Tomorrow we are vending at a tech support call center with 800 employees. Should do a great business there, but there's a catch, many of the employees are Indian or Asian, and are Buddhist or whatever religion that don't eat meat. I found this out today, they email me to remind me to have vegetarian options. (They never told me the first time). I was thinking smoked jalapeño mac & cheese, but I don't know if these folks even eat cheese! I was also thinking stuffed peppers with beans and rice, but I'm afraid they'll get mushy by the end of lunch service. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

You CAN'T barbeque vegetables. Doesn't fit the definition of BBQ. BBQ is meat. Period.

Just think of all of the regular side dishes that you'd normally serve, and offer those with a touch of BBQ sauce on the side. You know, kinda like BBQed 'Tater Chips?

Yes, vegetarians BBQ nicely over apple wood at 355 for 16 hours. Don't inject as you can be arrested and charged with
many bad laws.

Well that was not helpful at all! I wonder if vagitarians eat creamy slaw, it has eggs in it.

Why would a vegetarian even think about eating food at a BBQ? I guess the lack of meat proteins and amino acids has effected their brains?

Veggie Burgers? I hear that some of them almost taste like meat, but I can't understand why someone wouldn't just eat meat if they wanted it to taste like meat?

Sorry, I really can't help (and just for informational purposes, DON'T serve Jell-O. It's made from the gels from beef and/or chicken bones.

Last edited:
Well, you have to cater to the clients, got get a bunch of onions, mushrooms, red, yellow, green and orange bell peppers, and marinate them in a teriyaki sauce. it quick and easy. Put a few of each on some sticks, then put them on the grill for a couple of minutes. Atleast there would be an option for them.

It is kind of BS that they did not tell you this ahead of time, so you could make a proper menu for the vegans. Bob you really need to loose the blinders. You can BBQ anything you want, it does not have to be all meat, all the time. I have friends, and family that are Vegans. There is nothing wrong with Veggies, infact, I never used to eat them, until recently since I got landed in the hospital, now I eat them at every meal. If there is going to be alot of Asian people there, I would suggest you do a stir fry of veggies and rayman noodles, it is quick and simple. They will also appreciate the fact that you have it there for them.

Just make sure that you use a neutral oil, and veggie stock. If they are a true vegetarian they should not have anything that has any animal protein in it.

Last edited:
Max, I eat vegetables all the time. My point is the definition of BBQ. Look it up.

You can GRILL vegetables, but you can't BBQ vegetables. Period. Like I said max, look up the definition. The FDA is very specific about it.

Seriously, does it matter??? Boozer was just asking for help on a menu, and people are correcting him on definitions, of words that are associated with cooking. I mean really? I would think that the people here would have the collective knowledge to help out a friend, and throw some ideas out, to get him through this ordeal, that he is about to embark on.

Vegetables are best done hot and fast. Sweet corn with a swipe of butter then wrapped in foil is one of the things I am looking forward to this summer. Zucchini sliced in half is one of my wife's favorites. Mushrooms are great, my oldest daughter loves them. Kabobs are a good way to go, something like onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and zucchini. By hot and fast, 2-3 minutes per side. Sweet corn takes a bit longer. Also red potatoes are good off the grill. And green beans and asparagus with a little bit of fresh lemon.

Kebabs sound good, I'll have to start skewering Em up now, and I really want to go back to sleep! I agree with Bob, bbq means meat. at the same time, 800 potential customers, I can't piss these people off, even though they kinda screwed me over on this already. The fact is, I couldn't serve 800 people in one lunch service if I wanted to, why wouldn't they just get a second vendor that serves Asian, or Indian, or vagitarian food? Maybe they think it's funny to try to throw me a "Speed bump challenge" like that food truck race reality show. Now I'm up at 4 am, and I have a long day ahead of me, but I can do it...I think!

A little late but:

These are good grilled vege mains...

Stuffed Portobella mushroom caps - easy to do ahead and grill on site
Grilled eggplant slabs topped with a slice of tomato and some mozzarella
Packet cooked veggie mix
Tofu slabs marinated in sriracha, wine and garlic, grilled and served on some soba noodles rice or on a bun (burger style)

Well, despite the veggie hiccup, we had a great day! It turns out that Hindu folks do eat chicken. Lots of chicken! I didn't really sell much of the jap mac n cheese or kebabs until after we ran out of the chicken, had I known, I would have cooked a lot more, as that is our highest profit item. But we will definitely be prepared, the next time we go there, and since we didn't sell many Grilled kebabs, I had a very healthy lunch today! Btw, Janet all those except the tofu sound really delicious! I've done a similar "eggplant sammitch" except with cream cheese instead of mozzarella, and we do "hobo pack" foil package peppers and onions everyday to top our smoked sausages. It sets em off, and makes em look pretty too!

I think it is the Hindu who consider the cow to be sacred, which is primarily based in India.
Chick-fil-A-Cow-sm.jpg

Whats wrong with Tofu? It is very nourishing, takes the taste of whatever it is cooked with, and has a texture similar to diced chicken. I eat it all the time, and it is good for you..... :P

When I was a kid I worked at a Chinese restaurant, tofu was the only thing they'd let me eat for free. It got old quick. I promised myself that someday I'd own my own restaurant and I'd never eat tofu again!

Back
Top Bottom