vegetarian bbq? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Recipes > Looking for a recipe?
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
BBQ Central Pro

vegetarian bbq?

So apparently, this is my punishment for making fun of vagitarians. Tomorrow we are vending at a tech support call center with 800 employees. Should do a great business there, but there's a catch, many of the employees are Indian or Asian, and are Buddhist or whatever religion that don't eat meat. I found this out today, they email me to remind me to have vegetarian options. (They never told me the first time). I was thinking smoked jalapeño mac & cheese, but I don't know if these folks even eat cheese! I was also thinking stuffed peppers with beans and rice, but I'm afraid they'll get mushy by the end of lunch service. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Saint O'Que

You CAN'T barbeque vegetables. Doesn't fit the definition of BBQ. BBQ is meat. Period.

Just think of all of the regular side dishes that you'd normally serve, and offer those with a touch of BBQ sauce on the side. You know, kinda like BBQed 'Tater Chips?

Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
BBQ NOOB

Yes, vegetarians BBQ nicely over apple wood at 355 for 16 hours. Don't inject as you can be arrested and charged with
many bad laws.
Axlelift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Give a fruit cup.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Saint O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
give a fruit cup.
With Jell-O.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

Well that was not helpful at all! I wonder if vagitarians eat creamy slaw, it has eggs in it.
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Saint O'Que

Why would a vegetarian even think about eating food at a BBQ? I guess the lack of meat proteins and amino acids has effected their brains?

Veggie Burgers? I hear that some of them almost taste like meat, but I can't understand why someone wouldn't just eat meat if they wanted it to taste like meat?

Sorry, I really can't help (and just for informational purposes, DON'T serve Jell-O. It's made from the gels from beef and/or chicken bones.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Max
Wizard of Que

Well, you have to cater to the clients, got get a bunch of onions, mushrooms, red, yellow, green and orange bell peppers, and marinate them in a teriyaki sauce. it quick and easy. Put a few of each on some sticks, then put them on the grill for a couple of minutes. Atleast there would be an option for them.

It is kind of BS that they did not tell you this ahead of time, so you could make a proper menu for the vegans. Bob you really need to loose the blinders. You can BBQ anything you want, it does not have to be all meat, all the time. I have friends, and family that are Vegans. There is nothing wrong with Veggies, infact, I never used to eat them, until recently since I got landed in the hospital, now I eat them at every meal. If there is going to be alot of Asian people there, I would suggest you do a stir fry of veggies and rayman noodles, it is quick and simple. They will also appreciate the fact that you have it there for them.

Just make sure that you use a neutral oil, and veggie stock. If they are a true vegetarian they should not have anything that has any animal protein in it.
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
Saint O'Que

Max, I eat vegetables all the time. My point is the definition of BBQ. Look it up.

You can GRILL vegetables, but you can't BBQ vegetables. Period. Like I said max, look up the definition. The FDA is very specific about it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 AM   #10
Max
Wizard of Que

Seriously, does it matter??? Boozer was just asking for help on a menu, and people are correcting him on definitions, of words that are associated with cooking. I mean really? I would think that the people here would have the collective knowledge to help out a friend, and throw some ideas out, to get him through this ordeal, that he is about to embark on.

Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote