Stuffed Jalapeno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airboss

Senior Cook
Whatcha got for these guys? Where do you get the best peppers. Believe it or not the ones we get here in S.W. Fl. are kind of puney. I know it's hard to believe.

I'm back for more info on these babies. I got the chili grill and I've read all there is to read about scraping out ALL the seeds and roasting them longer to reduce heat. (taste not temp) At the risk of sounding like a girlie-grillie-man, I have to say they're still too damn hot! I grill them 50-60 minutes or more using the exact recipe Bob-BNQ listed here. Do I need to just suck it up or am I missing a way to step these things down some?

Why do I keep doing them you ask? Because they taste darn good and because it feels so good when I stop. I eat a ice cream after the peppers and the next morning all you can hear is me yellin', "C'mon ice cream!!!"

:ack:

I love mexican but am allergic to the pepper acid. I take a knife and twrill it on the inside of the pepper (My eyes really swell up during this part) scraping hard and removing the fine film that is inside the pepper. Then I wash them out with cold water. I stuff mine with a whole shrimp and grated cheese, then wrap the entire pepper with the bacon. I'll grill about 30 minutes or until the bacon is good and crisp. I can then eat about 8 of them with no problem.

I picked up a pepper peeler dealeo in Plano, Tx some time back. It's kind of a jalapeno roto rooter if you will. I get all the seeds out but this film inside is a new one on me. Maybe my scraper outer isn't getting the job done.

I also read rinsing the seeds down the drain (disposal) while runnig the water causes an interaction between the seeds and the H20 that produces a caustic gas that can really burn eyes, nose, throat, you name it. Ever hear that one?

Thanks for the tip!

What an awsome site. Love the prep pics with instructions. Man they looked good.

I do ABT's any time I crank up the smoker. Everyone loves them.

Atomic Buffalo Turds
Description: Stuffed jalapeno's off the grill. Great appentizer or side item.
Ingredients: • 2 lb Jalapeno's - fresh 2 -3 inches each (approx 30 count)
• 2 8 ounce pack of Cream Cheese
• 2 lb Bacon (may not use all)
• 1.5 lb Pulled Pork

Instructions: Wash, remove stems and half jalapeno's lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).
Use left over pulled pork, or prepare a small shoulder (2lb) for this. Besides pulled pork you can use any meat. Hamburger, or wedges of italian sausage work well also.

Cut lengths of bacon strips just long enough to wrap around jalapeno half about twice.

Fill jalapeno halfs with cream cheese, top with a small amount of pulled pork and wrap the whole thing with a peice of bacon. I usually hold bacon on top of end of jalapeno and wrap around the middle and come back up over top at other end. Hold bacon ends in place with ½ toothpick each end.

Get cooker at 325deg steady. You are wanting to get bacon cooked without burning up the jalapeno's. I use a raised grid, and place the jalepeno's on a veggie rack allowing for easy removal when done.

Smoking these are even better. Maple wood and Hickory work well.

Allow 30 - 40 minutes for bacon to be done. Check them half way through and rearange as necessary to prevent any hot spots burning any.

Notes: Cream cheese will not melt out unless the jalepeno is tipped over. After removing from grill let them set for about 10 minutes to let the bacon crispen up. Otherwise eat as soon as you are able to. Have a drink ready.

Back
Top Bottom