Smoked mutton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would make some dead sheep Speides if that fine hunko mutton was in my parlor. Nice long marinate might take a little of the stink out of it etc. Sure there is a bunch of recipes in the recipe section. Dont make me go look. Thanks.

bigwheel

I'd curry it. But then I have a 'thing' for anything curried . . . ;)

Whilst I am certain the folks in the western part of the Commonwealth of Kentucky would disagree with those comments... I cannot. Never cared for it myself. If I was going to make some mutton bbq... I believe I would start with a pork butt. :LOL: But thats just me... :)

Great point on skipping the mutton bbq. I tried it with a leg o lamb once upon a time and it stunk up the whole block. Sure glad it was outdoors. Real similar to the odor of a nice big old musky Javaleno Hawg. Course Javelinos aint really hawgs ya know..they is Peccaries which must be kissing cousins to hawgs. We have Collared Peccaries in this area most of them imported from S. Texas. Peccaries dont like cold weather too good. They get frost bite on their feet/trotters purty easy. Heck they may even be kin to sheep too since they both share the same odor profile so to speak.

bigwheel

Planked Mutton
Start with a nice hot bed of coals in a hand dug hole coverd with smooth river rocks.
Rub/Clense plank with a vinigar and water solution, bout 50/50
Wrap the mutton in buttered cheesecloth bout 1/4" thick
Lay clothed mutton on plank which is supported by the river rocks placed on the coals
Cover with either seaweed or a #18 Colts sweatshirt and let cook for aprox 23 minutes per lb or three hours whichever comes first...
When cooking time has completed,
Throw the Cheeseclothed mutton in the trash and eat either the seaweed or the sweatshirt.
dj
(Sorry Andy, jus couldn't help myself....)

That was great !! My brother has lived in KY for a lot of years. He comes up & has my pulled pork alot. He has been talking about how much he likes mutton & that I should try smoking some. We are going to Holiday World by Jasper, IN & there is a place about an hour away in KY called Moonlight BBQ that sells mutton. I'm thinking about going there & trying it before I spend the time makng it.

andy_christy said:
there is a place about an hour away in KY called Moonlight BBQ that sells mutton. I'm thinking about going there & trying it before I spend the time makng it.

Moonlight is a good choice to try before you buy in this case. I know quite a few folks that love it. I asked one friend what he thought of lamb, since all of the lamb recipes look great, and he said... "It's too bland for me, I like mutton." For what thats worth...

I'm with DJ... et al.

Yeall need to meet a super nice old comp cook pal o mine and pal of many other folks from Sweetwater, TX named Robert Bredemeyer. The name of his cook team is "We Don't Cook Sheep." Real cute story behind the name. Think DivaQ must know him since I Googled him up on her blog spot. The article below splains the name of the team. Its quite a bit more interesting to hear him tell it:)

http://www.barbecuenews.com/news/article_03.asp

bigwheel

ps Tell ya the boy would give you the shirt right off his back if he thought you needed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom