Recommend a 'different' rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Its not burned

Senior Cook
Doing some ribs and butts here shortly and want to go in a different direction with the rub. Meathead's Memphis Dust is a favorite, although I change things up some. I usually take out the ginger and up the brown sugar, also use smoked paprika. I have also used just salt and pepper, sometimes with garlic powder, sometimes not. I usually like that better on brisket. Some of the store boughts I've used are McCormick's Smokehouse Maple, Butt Rub, etc.

I am going to use Memphis Dust on one of the butts but want to try something new for the other. Happy to try store bought but prefer to mix myself.

Ok, whaddyagot?

Teriyaki Rub:
1 cup brown sugar
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 cup Smoked paprika

Mist or mop with pineapple juice with brown sugar

I'm a real fan of Meathead's and have tried loads of others, Butt Rub, Head Country, Smokin'in Guns and some I don't remember. Other than Meathead's my other go to is Wolfe Rub BBQ Seasoning you buy the recipes for his three blends for $25, I use the citrus on chicken all the time but his regular or bold are great too. Larry Wolfe use to be a big contributor on this forum but he has moved on to doing YouTube videos and I think that takes all his time. Some great tips there too.

I mentioned my rub the other day on another thread but I'll post it here too...

Equal parts salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
1/2 part cayenne pepper.

I've intended to use smoked paprika to see how that changes the flavor.

When I've dabbled with other ingredients the results have been satisfactory but I guess my tastes are simple so too many "layers" of flavor are lost on me.

Can you guys give me an idea of the flavor profile once cooked? Spicy; Has a kick; Sweet;, etc.?

Sometimes these ingredients don't taste like you'd think. I've had sauces that eaten off the spoon would gag you from the vinegar, but once glazed on the vinegar taste isn't there.

I can't speak for the other mouthbreathers in this thread, but mine is sweet..........5 pounds of danglin meat (no Homo)

I stumbled on one by accident. I had to go to Lowes this morning and stopped by to smell the new Webers when I noticed this rack of rubs and sauces. On it was a product called 'Rub Some Butt', a Carolina style mustard/vinegar based rub.

I have used mustard based sauces and vinegar mops before, but never a rub. Has anyone else tried it?

If it's decent I will try to reverse engineer. Ingredients look pretty basic, sugar, garlic and onion powders, mustard, etc., although I'm going to need powdered vinegar.

Sounds good, I have used Sweet Baby Rays mustard BBQ sauce before it's pretty good

Barbecue Sauces | Sweet Baby Ray’s

Funny, I was going to ask about that stuff specifically. I have a mustard based sauce recipe that we like but I'm out and in the mood for a change. I may have to resort to bottled red sauce on one of the rib slabs, might as well use bottled yellow sauce too!

Maybe serve dry...Hmmm....

My goto is Lawrys Seasoning salt and black pepper. When I'm feeling dangerous I add garlic and/or onion powder :D. I like my ribs to taste like ribs.

I've done that before too. Salt/Pepper and maybe some garlic powder is all I do on a Brisket. I've done Ribs with just S&P, and with dry brining just P, maybe a shake of onion powder.

But, the idea of the thread was to find a new rub that would give me a different flavor. The bottled one I stumbled across was good enough to deserve some reverse engineering.

So from what I gather in this thread, you asked for a recommendation for a new rub and then did what ever you wanted to do in the first place

Is your last name Obama by chance??

Well, no. My search ended in a different way than I thought it would. I stumbled across the bottled one a couple of days after I asked.

And Obama wouldn't ask for a recommendation, he'd just do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom