Really Good Doctored UP Bush's Baked Beans Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I've been making baked beans with dried beans and the results have been pretty good. However, the family doesn't like them as much as a simpled doctored up pot of Bush's baked Beans. I'm looking for a really good Doctored Up Bush's Baked Beans Recipe.

Try this one, its really good.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/529 ... 069613/p/1

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. Smiler This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Thanks Vermin that really looks good. Somebody needs to try this one too.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19158

This one calls for fresh apples but I could sure see it being easy to adapt over to the apple pie filling. That would sure beat peeling apples etc.

bigwheel

I like Keri's recipe and have cooked it many times, and there's never any left over.

Recently, I have been using peaches instead of apples. Canned, fresh, or peach pie filling all work. They don't taste the same, but all are fantastic. I think it's more of a texture thing than actual taste.

BOB

Thanks Bob. Sounds like a great plan. I got seriously snake bit on the Granny Smith fresh apples one time. The eldest of the biological grand chillins want to prepare his own meal one day and he chose Pork Chops with a slice of apple astride each and they poach in gravy or some such thing. I shoulda grabbed another genus or phylum of apples. Them chops come out sour to the bone. Only thing I could figger was there wasnt enough sweet in the brew to offset to tartness. Whutchyall think?

Goober

Here is one of my favorites

Dutch’s Wicked Baked Beans

Here’s the recipe for perhaps the best baked beans you will ever eat,
6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 – 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 – 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 – 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard
Sautè bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sautè onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.
In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)
Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.
NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

This is Bill the Grill Guys recipe. It is a winner every time!

1 #10 Can Show Boat Beans , 24 servings
1 LB Italian Sausage, Crumbled
1 Large Onion, Chopped
1 Large Green Pepper, Chopped
1 TBS Fennel Seed
¼ Cup Brown Sugar
¾ Cup Ketchup
¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

Brown the sausage, add the onion pepper and fennel seed. Drain the
beans, add to a 1/2 pan and combine all ingredients. Bake covered at
350 for 45 min or until bubbly.
:

Eyetalian Sausage? What is up with that? That stuff tastes sorta weird unless it poached in marina sauce and served over boiled dough with garlic bread on the side. Not sure many rational folks want to go poking it down in some good old Showboat Pork n Beans. Aint even seen none of those in the past twenty years or so. Im getting upset again..yet another time. What planet are yall from?

Smoked BBQ Beans

48 oz large can pork and beans; drained
1/2 pound smoked pulled pork barbeque or smoked ham; shredded
1 lb spicy bulk sausage fried and drained
1 green bell pepper; chopped
1 red bell pepper; chopped
2 jalapenos; seeded and chopped
2 large Vidalia onion; chopped
3/4 cup barbeque sauce
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 shakes hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
more BBQ sauce for consistency, optional

Mix ingredients in a sturdy aluminum pan or an old pot--don't use your wife's favorite as it will get black. Smoke beans for about 6 hrs. BBQ Beans are like chili, you can throw anything in them you like, even the kitchen sink if desired.

Back
Top Bottom