Kentucky Hot brown - Breakfast of Champions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Reposted from General Discussion

A Hot Brown is a type of open face sandwich and this makes 4 of the them. There are no measurements for the Turkey, bacon and mushrooms as they are spread on top and may vary. I would say to purchase about 1/2 lb or more turkey and I get it shaved. Also about a half pound or a bit more bacon will probably do the trick. Anyway there is no such thing as making to much bacon. They are traditionally served in a "boat" looking dish with high sides.

1 small inion, chopped
4+ Tablespoon Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Cream
1/ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, White pepper looks better
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 slices of white bread toast
Sliced smoked Turkey
Bacon, fried until perfect
Sauteed Mushrooms, go ahead a sautee up a small container

In a skillet, sautee the onions in butter until they are transparent. Add the flour and whisk smooth. Add milk, cream, salt and pepper and mix together untill smooth. Cook until it thickens and stir occassionally.

Add the cheddar and Parm and continue heating and stirring until they melt. Remove from heat.

In an oven proof dish, one for each hot brown, place two pieces of toast side by side. Top with smoked Turkey, laddle cheese sauce over sandwich and place in broiler until they are bubbling. Top with crumbled bacon and sauteed mushrooms and serve immediately.

After you eat this you may want to take a nap.

Enjoy!

Ive eaten that out many a times... none of the local Eaterys make it the same way...and none are as good as makin it at home IMO.. Bryan...if/when you make it..get some pics!

Well in Texas this would be called a hot beef sandwich cept there wouldnt be no dead turkeys in the mix. Also we very health concious down here so we skip the bacon and fungus. Them shrooms can be pizzen and psychodelic ya know? Dont even get started on bacon.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom