Just got a bucket full of ripe strawberries...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Morgan said:
What should I do with em? Thought I'd serve some for poker night tonight...anybody ever grilled em?

Cappy, I've never tried it but I saw the guy on "Low Carb and Loving it" the other night, grill the strawberries, and then drizzled balsamic vinegar over them. I don't have a clue what they tasted like, but they looked good.

Too late I'm sure on this one Cappy, but a couple of times a year we take some fresh strawberries, whole, dip in sour cream then in brown sugar then eat them...

I thought that was the weirdest thing to do with fresh strawberries but they are great

did you grill and glaze with pepper jelly? what were they like?

Stawberries and balsamic vinegar go very, very well together.
Excellent that way, or with pineapple vinegar. Reduce the vinegar over medium-high heat by about 2/3. Drizzle on the berries.

Strawberries dipped in melted chocolate are great.

Or grill slabs of pound cake and skewers of strawberries. Put the berries on the cake, top with vanilla ice cream (and if you wish, drizzle with reduced balsamic or melted chocolate).

Shawn White said:
Too late I'm sure on this one Cappy, but a couple of times a year we take some fresh strawberries, whole, dip in sour cream then in brown sugar then eat them...

I thought that was the weirdest thing to do with fresh strawberries but they are great

did you grill and glaze with pepper jelly? what were they like?

Yeah Shawn, they were pretty good! I won't do em that way often, but everyone was surprised how much they likes em!

I'm thinking that Texas pepper jelly might do a great job on strawberries....can I get a Rock On!

This one is way late, but take instant vanilla puding and mix it in 1 pint of sour cream. Hull and half the stawberrys, and use the mixture for a dip. Tastes like strawberry cheesecake. Seriously you have to try this!

Got a bunch just last night...sliced 'em, added a little sugar, put um under a scoop of Hagen Daz vanilla with a layer of busted up Biscotti between. Then sprinkled with mini choclate chips and slivered almonds. Topped it all with another spoonful of strawberries and drizzeled some of the juice from the bottom of the bowl over the whole thing.

This is a drink I make with fresh stawberries that the women around here like.
It is simple and makes them happy.

Very Fine brand fuit punch
190 Grain alcohol, as much as you dare
Fresh strawberries
mix well, cover and place in fridge.
This isnt for poker night but if you can get the players to drink this, you will be a winner. :grin:

Grilled Strawberry Sandwiches

You need some Sara Lee Poundcake (or similarly decadent Poundcake that grills well)
Strawberries, rinsed and hulled, but left whole
Grand Marnier
Balsamic Vinegar
Honey
Marscapone Cheese or Creme Fraiche to which you add some of the honey

Make a Vinegrette of the Grand Marnier & Vinegar, about 2 parts Grand Marnier to one part Vinegar. Add some honey to taste and reduce by half in a saucepan.

Skewer your strawberries and brush liberally with the Vinegrette, put on the grill and cook until tender, brushing with more Vinegrette as they cook.

Butter the piundcake slices. Grill your Poundcake as well and make a diamond pattern on the cake. (at least on the sides that will face outwards - makes a nice presentation) You will need to two pieces for each sandwhich.

To assemble the sandwhiches:

Take a piece of grilled pound cake, spread some of the honey-sweetened marscapone or creme fraiche. It acts like glue. Unskewer your strawberries right intop of the Cream filling. Spread some more cream filling on another slice and place atop the strawberries.

Voila - Grilled Strawberry Sandwich.

Variations: You can drizzle some extra Grand Marnier minus the vinegar onto the grilled pound cake, to the side that will be inside the sandwich. This will add some flavor and moisture.

I neglected to mention that you should lightly butter the Pound Cake to aid in the grilling process and to help get those nice diamond grill marks. The butter helps keep the moist pound cake from sticking to the grill. You could wind up with broken cake if you failed to brush the pieces lightly with some butter.

Back
Top Bottom