HARD TACK - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Recipes > Looking for a recipe?
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Cooker

HARD TACK

A friend and I have been buying "Hard Tack", a smoked sausage out here in the west. It has a LOT of garlic in it! It is basically smoked meat, spices, etc. about the size of a hotdog. Great stuff. They are $3 a stick, so we are looking to see if anyone has a recipe for this stuff???

thanks!

2 Traeger 125 Professionals
1 Traeger Commercial 200
Charcoal Kettles
Naked Pig BBQ Company
www.nakedpigbbq.com
nakedpigbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #2

I could tell you the process for making it..as for the spices...what is the flavor profile...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Cooker

I thought hardtack was a biscuit or such, used back in the day when making long treks in or to the west. It wasn't a sausage I don't think.
Damar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Dittos on the biscuit. That is whut the Southern Heros nibbled around on while protecting the homeland during the War of Northern Aggresion

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Cooker

You are right on the confederate biscuit. However, since I am a south georgia stick burner who has been transplanted out in the middle of nebraska, they go by a whole new dictionary. It is called Hard Tack, but looks like a big smoked snack stick. I guess I will need to cut one apart and really try to figure out what is in it. As far as the process, what are people doing to make "snack sticks"? I didn't know if I could make them on my brinkman water smoker?

thanks!

chuck
1 Traeger Commercial 200
Charcoal Kettles
Naked Pig BBQ Company
www.nakedpigbbq.com
Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #6

Well always glad to hear from a GA Boy. I had rather hear a fat boy fart than a purty girl whistle any old day Fact is you can make any kinda sausage snack stick which is available in the world..and no you don't need no WSM or KGB or whutever it is you cook bbq with. Fact is them kinda food stuffs of which you seek aint cooked..but rather dehydrated. The object is the germs die of thirst. This kinda stuff been going on for thousands of years but yankees can't quite get the idear of whut is up with it. I will glady take you by the hand and teach you how to make it if you want..but you got to separate the wheat from chaff..don't listen to yankees etc. See whut I mean here?

bigwheel
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Cooker

OK bigwheel!

sounds good... let's go to school! I do have a dehydrator as well so maybe I have all the tools I will need. Ready to be learned in the art of snack stickin'.....
1 Traeger Commercial 200
Charcoal Kettles
Naked Pig BBQ Company
www.nakedpigbbq.com
Old 10-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well always glad to hear from a GA Boy. I had rather hear a fat boy fart than a purty girl whistle any old day Fact is you can make any kinda sausage snack stick which is available in the world..and no you don't need no WSM or KGB or whutever it is you cook bbq with. Fact is them kinda food stuffs of which you seek aint cooked..but rather dehydrated. The object is the germs die of thirst. This kinda stuff been going on for thousands of years but yankees can't quite get the idear of whut is up with it. I will glady take you by the hand and teach you how to make it if you want..but you got to separate the wheat from chaff..don't listen to yankees etc. See whut I mean here?

bigwheel
Damn, you mean all the Witt taught me is no good?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel

bigwheel
Damn, you mean all the Witt taught me is no good?
Oh god..here we go again....
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #10

Got this recipe from a lady named Carol many moons ago. It has been tweaked up a little.

bigwheel

ps edit..You can also cold smoke this stuff on the front end if you want a smoke flavor. If you need any help with making a cold smoker holler back. It real easy to make one out of a cardboard box. That is how the old frugal prevert done it anyway.

Spanish-Style Sausage

10 lbs 80/20 ground beef chuck
5 T Morton't Tender Quick
2 T finely ground black pepper
3 T cayenne pepper
1 T coarsely crushed red pepper
2 T garlic finely minced
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp oregano
2 T sugar
1 tsp fennel seed
1/4 cup brandy
6 feet medium hog casings

Grind the meat through the coarse grinder plate or buy it already ground if you want. Sprinkle the meat with the spices and brandy and mix well. Stuff into medium hog guts and tie off into 4 inch links. Let the links rest at least 24 hours uncovered in the ice box giving them an occasional shuffle so they all get some air. Hang the suasage to dry for about 8 weeks. You can hang it in your attic if you want. Don't hurt to keep a fan blowing on it lightly.