Ham Bone Soup Recipe Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I'm going to have a really nice ham bone with a good amount of meat on it in a day or two. If anyone has a tried and true recipe. I'd love to hear it. I posted this at TVWBB, too, but I find i have better luck here. Thanks!

I made a pot of black bean soup yesterday. I soaked a pound of beans overnight and then drained the water. I cut up a half a large onion, three carrots and 4 stalks of celery. Put the veggies in the pot with a little olive oil and salt and sweated them down. Put the ham bone and beans in the pot and covered with water. Cooked until the beans were done than added some chicken bouillon for flavor and salt, black pepper, cumin, and thyme then took a potato masher and mashed some of the beans to thicken the soup. I didn't measure the spices but I would guess about 1.5 tablespoons of chicken bouillon, a tablespoon of thyme, 2 teaspoons of pepper and a teaspoon of cumin.

Vermin999 said:
I made a pot of black bean soup yesterday. I soaked a pound of beans overnight and then drained the water. I cut up a half a large onion, three carrots and 4 stalks of celery. Put the veggies in the pot with a little olive oil and salt and sweated them down. Put the ham bone and beans in the pot and covered with water. Cooked until the beans were done than added some chicken bouillon for flavor and salt, black pepper, cumin, and thyme then took a potato masher and mashed some of the beans to thicken the soup. I didn't measure the spices but I would guess about 1.5 tablespoons of chicken bouillon, a tablespoon of thyme, 2 teaspoons of pepper and a teaspoon of cumin.
Thanks!

My Mama made good ham bone soup by cooking a ham bone in a big pot of butter beans. Big whtie Limas for any yankees or southern imbred peckerwoods on here who do not know what is a real butter bean. She used salt and pepper. Mighty tasty. Need cornbread and soft fried tates on the side of course. Mustard greens is good to go with.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound dried cannellini beans
3 1/2 quarts (14 cups) water, plus more for soaking the beans
1 meaty smoked ham bone or 2 ham hocks (about 1 pound)
3 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 medium carrots
2 medium celery stalks
1 medium yellow onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 1/2 cups medium-dice, fully cooked smoked ham (about 8 ounces)
Freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the beans in a large bowl and pick through them, removing and discarding any broken beans or stones. Cover them with at least 3 inches of cold water. Allow to soak uncovered and at room temperature at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Place the measured water and ham bone or hocks in a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
Add the soaked beans and thyme, stir to combine (leave the bone or hocks in the pot), and return to a simmer, skimming the surface with a spoon as necessary to remove any scum. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are almost completely tender but still a little underdone in the center, about 1 hour (the beans should not be completely cooked because they will cook more later).
Meanwhile, peel and cut the carrots into medium dice and place in a medium bowl. Cut the celery and onion into medium dice and add them to the bowl with the carrots. Add the diced vegetables and measured salt to the pot, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans and vegetables are tender and the meat is falling off the bone, about 40 minutes more. Turn off the heat.
Remove the ham bone or hocks to a cutting board and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones and set it aside (discard the skin and bones).
Using a potato masher, lightly mash half of the beans and vegetables, leaving the remaining half intact. Stir in the diced and reserved ham. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.

Wow Cappy that sounds good. I am just trying to figger out what is chamomile bean. What I missing here.

I'm not as elaborate as cappy. But after Christmas I usually have a nice bone left that i make a nice cheese and tater soup with I don't have a recipe though. I just boil the bone down to a nice broth. Boil the taters with some salt and lots and lots of black pepper. Then I add the cheddar cheese sauce till thick as you want. Simple and delicious. I usually add lots of left over ham chopped rough also.

Followed the Captain's recipe to a T and the soup was fantastic! I'm cooking this again soon and will multiply the recipe by 1.5. Thanks!

Captain Morgan said:
INGREDIENTS
1 pound dried cannellini beans
3 1/2 quarts (14 cups) water, plus more for soaking the beans
1 meaty smoked ham bone or 2 ham hocks (about 1 pound)
3 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 medium carrots
2 medium celery stalks
1 medium yellow onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 1/2 cups medium-dice, fully cooked smoked ham (about 8 ounces)
Freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the beans in a large bowl and pick through them, removing and discarding any broken beans or stones. Cover them with at least 3 inches of cold water. Allow to soak uncovered and at room temperature at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Place the measured water and ham bone or hocks in a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
Add the soaked beans and thyme, stir to combine (leave the bone or hocks in the pot), and return to a simmer, skimming the surface with a spoon as necessary to remove any scum. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are almost completely tender but still a little underdone in the center, about 1 hour (the beans should not be completely cooked because they will cook more later).
Meanwhile, peel and cut the carrots into medium dice and place in a medium bowl. Cut the celery and onion into medium dice and add them to the bowl with the carrots. Add the diced vegetables and measured salt to the pot, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans and vegetables are tender and the meat is falling off the bone, about 40 minutes more. Turn off the heat.
Remove the ham bone or hocks to a cutting board and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones and set it aside (discard the skin and bones).
Using a potato masher, lightly mash half of the beans and vegetables, leaving the remaining half intact. Stir in the diced and reserved ham. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.

DON'T use a honey ham bone or meat

Back
Top Bottom