Gyros!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Never made em....got some ground lamb, some flatbread, cucumber and and yogurt. Gonna do little research and fix em tonight...

Anybody got experience?

I thought ther was a gyro recipe in Cook's Illustrated recently....can't remember though...The greek restaurant (cleverly disguised as an italian place) makes really good gyros....

Rob

Don't ask. My tzatziki sauce taste like yogurt, and the lamb/beef mixture tastes like hamburger. Very dissappointed. We ate all of em (5 of us ate 9 gyros), but I wasn't happy with the flavor at all. I can give no advice here, other than find and follow recipes better than I do!

I haven't found that beef in the mix is beneficial. I think straight lamb works better. I'm working on one for the rotis that's similar to the one posted above--a few more spices in mine. I'll post it when I can get it the way I want it and you can see if it works for you should you decide to try again.

Good tzatziki--to me--requires draining the yogurt (check the label, you don't want pectin or tapioca in it) and using plenty salted, drained, and squeezed grated cuke along with the onion, garlic, evoo, and mint.

Back
Top Bottom