Goose sausage recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
..have a bunch of goose (breast meat) leftover from the fall/winter hunting season, would like to make sausage with it. I'm looking for a good recipe or ideas... I don't want to make a smoked or summer-type sausage. Has anyone used Juniper Berries in their sausage making?
Thanks

I am watching this thread because I have a similar interest. My oldest son living in Oregon recently made a very tasty wild duck summer sausage. He used one of those box kits. Charcouterie has a link sausage recipe for duck, sage, and roasted garlic sausage but I've never made it.

I found this in a sausage book I have. I can't vouch for it cause I never made it.
2 1/2 pounds goose
1/2 pound chicken fat
1 TBS Kosher salt
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Grind meat, mix spices and stuff into casings. Cook to internal temp of 165*.

I can't see why you couldn't add some of your juniper to this. It seems it would go with the spice combo listed here. Keep us posted and don't forget the pics!

Just grind it up and mix it at least 50/50 and preferably 40/60 to 30/70 with some nice fat Boston Butts. Follow any sausage recipe you might like. Big Dave's Cheesy Jap sausage is real hard to beat. Purty sure its in the recipe section.

bigwheel said:
Just grind it up and mix it at least 50/50 and preferably 40/60 to 30/70 with some nice fat Boston Butts. Follow any sausage recipe you might like. Big Dave's Cheesy Jap sausage is real hard to beat. Purty sure its in the recipe section.

I'm searching for his recipe haven't found it yet. Thanks for the info, boston butt would definitely work.
I found a recipe that uses bacon (one of my favorite food groups) with the goose, sounds good but wonder if the bacon would overpower the goose...

friesian_rain said:
bigwheel said:

I'm searching for his recipe haven't found it yet. Thanks for the info, boston butt would definitely work.
I found a recipe that uses bacon (one of my favorite food groups) with the goose, sounds good but wonder if the bacon would overpower the goose...

Mix it in a little at a time. Take a small portion and fry it in a frying pan to check the flavor. If need, add a little more bacon.

Well I dont know about the subtle nuances of goose flavor but bacon tastes good with anything. I always follow Big Dave's recipe and throw in a 3 lb box of bacon ends and pieces for part of the 20 lb total meat ration. His original recipe calls for Bambi meat but I'm sure that taste like goose most likely so where it say Bambi just use the goose. Heres a link for ya. Thanks to Wittdog.

http://bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 31&start=0

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="friesian_rain":25b1lrmj]
bigwheel said:

Mix it in a little at a time. Take a small portion and fry it in a frying pan to check the flavor. If need, add a little more bacon.[/quote:25b1lrmj]

Yeah Nick, really what was I thinking? Isn't the point of using bacon in cooking to TASTE THE BACON ? hahaha
The problem that I have with cooking up little portions of the sausage just to taste it, is that I keep on tasting it !

bigwheel said:
Well I dont know about the subtle nuances of goose flavor but bacon tastes good with anything. I always follow Big Dave's recipe and throw in a 3 lb box of bacon ends and pieces for part of the 20 lb total meat ration. His original recipe calls for Bambi meat but I'm sure that taste like goose most likely so where it say Bambi just use the goose. Heres a link for ya. Thanks to Wittdog.

http://bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 31&start=0

Thanks BigWheel, I followed the link and got the recipe. If I don't use it for the goose I'll just pull some "Bambi" out of the freezer.

Well that is very smart thinking on the Bambi meat. That is the stage I throw in a 5 lb chub of pre ground 80/20 beef chuck. Suspect about any kinda wild game can be sausagized if a person got enough pork butts and bacon. Know Ostriches make good sausage. Now the fella at the feed store say Emus taste like liver all over. Might save that for boudan or something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom