Dirty rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Dirty Rice

4 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning; OR
3 teaspoons Creole seasoning blend, plus
1 teaspoon salt

1 stick butter
2 cups converted rice
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 quart water
Chicken livers, gizzards, necks, wings, backs
"If you bought a whole chicken, season and broil the breasts, legs and thighs to serve as an entree with the rice. If you're making this as a side dish for something else, then ...
"Put the gizzards, livers, wings, necks, backs, etc., in the water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. (Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.) Let cool and remove the meat from the bones. Finely mince the meat and giblets, then return to the water; set aside for the moment.

"Melt the butter in a heavy pot, then add rice and fry until brown. Add onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper and parsley, and fry until transparent.

"Heat the chicken and broth again, and add to the rice. The water should be about one inch above the rice; if needed add extra water.

"Add seasoning, bring to a boil and cook until the water has almost evaporated and is just bubbling on top of the rice. Stir to prevent sticking. Cover and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice set for about 10 minutes. When ready to serve, stir rice well.

Dirty Rice

2 cups uncooked rice
1 pound chicken livers and gizzards
1/2 pound ground beef
½ cup chopped onions
1 green pepper - chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cloves garlic - chopped
2 green onions or scallions chopped
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Cook the rice according to package instructions. Cooking rice is an art unto itself so I won’t tell you how to cook it. I grew up adding a few pats of butter to the cooking water so that the grains did not stick together. Now, in my household we use a rice cooker and want the rice to stick together. After spending several years in the orient, rice is actually a staple around my house.

Anyway… cook the gizzards and livers in a separate pot. After about 10 minutes over medium heat they should be done enough. Strain and then chopped the livers and gizzards. Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Pour off the grease after the ground beef is done. Add all of the other ingredients except the rice. Cook for another 15 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the rice and continue cooking over medium heat for another 5 minutes stirring a few times.

Dirty Rice

2 cups enriched rice
4 cups chicken stock
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cups diced white onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 pound pork sausage meat
1/4 pound ground beef
1/2 pound chicken giblets
1 bunch green onions, chopped

In colander, rinse rice several times until water runs clear. Place rice in pot and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not overcook.
Saute garlic, onions and bell peppers in vegetable oil until soft for about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and cayenne and add to rice. Cook sausage and ground beef together in sautepan and add to rice.

In separate pot place giblets, cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes with green onions, salt and pepper. Let cool enough to chop into small dice then add to rice mixture. Mix rice well and let simmer on lowest heat for an additional 30 minutes, stirring continuously, until flavors meld.

FYI, I love and make dirty rice often, but no yard bird innards in mine.
Just sausage, chicken stock, and some chopped veggies. Lot's o pepper
and creole spices.

Captain Morgan said:
and creole spices.

AND........are you gonna post a recipe???

Captain Morgan said:
and creole spices.
Me too. With tasso with minced andouille or sometimes just tasso.

Tasso is highly spiced small pieces of butt (rubbed, wrapped and stuck in the fridge for a day or two) then smoked. It is very flavorful and used in many cajun dishes often minced, diced small or sliced very thinly and the cut in tiny strips.

Found a few more dirty rice recipes over in the "request a recipe" section. Here is one I saved posted by Bayou Black Iron once upon a time at some undisclosed location. I make mine a lot like this cept I handle the chicken guts a little different. I boil the gizzards alone for at least an hour before running them through the food processor then I lightly pulverize the chicken liver raw and add it to the sautee pan with the other meats and veggies toward the end of the cooking cycle. In my view 30 mins aint enough time to tender up a gizzard but it is enough time to turn a chicken liver bitter. I also wear it plumb out with Tony Chacheries cajun seasoning and Lawry's seasoning salt to taste.

bigwheel

>Bayou Black Iron said this

Lot's of recipes and lots of different ways to make this. Here's one:

DISCLAIMER: Now I know some of you folks may have an adversion to chicken livers and gizzards (known as giblets) and if so, you can leave them out by doubling up on the quantities of beef and pork. Just be warned: If it
doesn't have the giblets, it ain't real dirty rice.

1 lb of chicken gizzards
1 bl of chicken livers
1 lb of ground beef
1 lb of hot bulk pork sausage (or ground pork)
1 cup of chopped onions (more or less, to personal tastes)
1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper (more or less, to personal tastes)
1/4 cup of chopped celery (more or less, to personal tastes)
1/3 cup of chopped green onions (more or less, to personal tastes)
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
3 to 4 cups of cooked rice
3 tablespoons of bacon drippings
1 or 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Hot Sauce and/ or cayenne pepper (to taste)

Add enough seasoned water into a sauce pan to cover the chicken gizzards/livers and boil 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove and either grind or chop the giblets, then set aside for later. Reserve the broth. In, either a large skillet or a Dutch oven (preferably black iron ), add the bacon grease then brown the ground beef and pork, until crumbly. Add your vegetables and saute until the onions are clear, then mix in the ground gizzards and liver, add Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce and other seasonings, to taste. (I add seasonings as I go and just adjust at this point). Add in a cup of the reserved broth and let simmer until most of the liquid has cooked out (you'll want it slightly wet though). In another pot prepare your uncooked rice your favorite way (I'll always mix a cup, or so, of the reserved brothinto my water when making the rice). When done, mix your rice into the meat mixture (you may or may not use all of the cooked rice, just mix in enough to give you your desired ratio of meat to rice) and serve hot. Garnish with some sliced green onions, if you want (I always want). Some people will also make their meat mixture a little wetter and then after mixing with the rice, will bake in a covered dish @ 325 degrees for about thirty minutes (not a necessary step but just another way of doing it).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 12:02:36 PM by Bayou Black Iron »

deputynrc said:
I was looking for a "dirty rice" recipe. My wife and I ate at the "Big TEXAN" in Amarillo, TX over the weekend. they called theirs "Texas Rice" but it was very similar to what I am looking for. It had a beefy flavor. Any help would be appreciated!!

I hear ya talking on the veggie ration bro. I tend to follow Justeen's advice on the trinity. Use all the onyawn and garlic you want and half it with the bell peppa and celery. Regarding fresh garlic I quit adding it when I get tired of peeling and smushing. Translating it means if a person add one big onyawn..use half a bell peppa and maybe one stalk of celery. If you use two big onyawns a whole bell peppa and two celery stalks work just fine. Bell peppas and celery is flavor killers..meaning they overpower it quick if you get outta balance. Onyawn and garlic is flavor enhancers. If you can use too much something is wrong. In fact it aint possible to use too much I dont think:)

bigwheel

Sorry for the delayed response on this one..guessed I missed it. No dont recall Justeen giving any carrot cautions. I tend to use a bunch but only in stew. I also like a little turnip in stew. Maybe at about 1/4 the tate ration. That give it a nice flavor boost in my book. Now when making chicken broth for such things as chicken and dumplins I tend to use carrot but only one for a big pot if I got some. Supposed to give it a little flavor increase according to the exspurts but honestly cant tell much difference if it aint there.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom