Chicken Marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vonDrehle

Assistant Cook
Hey,
I'm looking for some good Healthy Chicken Marinades to try out. I found out the, what I thought was supposed to be healthy, Vegetable Oil in the McCormick marinades I have been using have 14g of fat per serving which isn't that great when you are trying to go on a diet. I'm up for any flavors. I have found some decent ones via google I was just hoping someone on here might have something they have actually tried.

-Chris

Hey Chris, I've attached a photo of three marinades I'm testing out. They are all Teriyaki types of marinades. I have already used the Soy Vay Wasabi Teriyaki and it's fantastic.

It states on the nutrition facts side of the label that there's 1 gram of fat per serving (1 tbs.) for the Soy Vay product and 0.5 grams per serving (1 tbs.) for the Kona Coast products. Other than that, I would suggest you use rubs on your chicken instead of a marinade. I've had very good results with rubs.

Well for a person concerned with the fat content might be best to swing over to a brine as opposed to a marinate. For storebought brines some folks like Goya Brand Mojo Curillio. Usually found in the Mexican food section at the store. I dont personally like it cuz it imparts a funky sweet flavor which I dont enjoy. For ho made brines usual rule of thumb is one cup salt to one cup sugar or some other kind of sweet stuff to counteract the salt...that be per gallon of water. To that mixture can be added all kinds of stuff..garlic onyawn bay little wooster little soy etc. Get it ice cold before using. I go about 8 hrs for splits..longer for whole birds and shorter time for parts. What you will find is whutever flavor is in the water will wind up inside the meat and it tends to increase the juiciness of the finished product. Also applies to pork.

bigwheel

Thanks guys I'll have to try that stuff out. TBH I had to look up brine and it doesn't sound to difficult to work with.

bigwheel said:
Well for a person concerned with the fat content might be best to swing over to a brine as opposed to a marinate. For storebought brines some folks like Goya Brand Mojo Curillio. Usually found in the Mexican food section at the store. I dont personally like it cuz it imparts a funky sweet flavor which I dont enjoy. For ho made brines usual rule of thumb is one cup salt to one cup sugar or some other kind of sweet stuff to counteract the salt...that be per gallon of water. To that mixture can be added all kinds of stuff..garlic onyawn bay little wooster little soy etc. Get it ice cold before using. I go about 8 hrs for splits..longer for whole birds and shorter time for parts. What you will find is whutever flavor is in the water will wind up inside the meat and it tends to increase the juiciness of the finished product. Also applies to pork.

bigwheel

Dang BW. You left out crab boil.

One of the first lessons in the book "Low & Slow" includes Mojo Criollo, I found it tasty enough to have it several more times. It is very easy to do and as BW said easy to find in the ethnic section in the store.

Well my old chum Harry from Jouston..who now lives in the swamps of Lousiana sent me some Mojo Currililo once upon a time. It was La Leche brand or similar. Which as far as can be interpreted means lady milk of some type. It was much closer to a marinate than is Goya. I mean all you got to do is read the ingredient list on Goya to figger out that is a brine. The stuff Harry sent even looked like milk. I think the folks from Cuber and other furrin Countries down South like that one. It very good as a shrimp soak but its mostly vinegar and oil.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom