Baked Beans made with Dried Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
My Mom and Aunt made great Baked Beans with dried beans. My Aunt died and my 82 yr. old Mom can't remember her recipe. I've made a lot of Baked Bean recipes with dried beans that were just OK to Good. I've made baked beans with canned beans, but it just isn't the same.
Does anybody or their Wife have a really good Baked Bean recipe that is made with dried beans?

This is what I do.

Ingredients

2 cups navy beans
1/2 pound bacon
1 onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
Directions

Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
bbquzz said:
Pigs that sounds like some good beans, I'm putting that one in the recipe book.

It never fails. Biggest pain is putting them on a sheet pan and picking out all the small pebbles.

Pigs
I agree, but I can't afford to lose a filling or crown to a pebble.
Thanks for the recipe. I have the beans soaking and will give it a shot tomorrow.
Do you precook the bacon at all?

3 Olives said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":1n6gsycn]
bbquzz said:
Pigs that sounds like some good beans, I'm putting that one in the recipe book.

It never fails. Biggest pain is putting them on a sheet pan and picking out all the small pebbles.

Pigs
I agree, but I can't afford to lose a filling or crown to a pebble.
Thanks for the recipe. I have the beans soaking and will give it a shot tomorrow.
Do you precook the bacon at all?[/quote:1n6gsycn]

Sorry so late. Some times I precook the bacon, most of the time not. If I make a triple batch, I do. Most of the time I put a cast iron DO in the of the WSM water pan and put a pork butt on the top grate and just let the fat render into the beans. NOT healthy, but darn good! :D

Pigs

Back
Top Bottom