Take out BBQ business - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > Forum Support | Announcements | Site News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Take out BBQ business

Need info or suggestions on a BBQ take out business ; will specialize in ribs; chicken , brisket. Type of smoker/grill; can this type of operation work without having a sitdown type operation ? Thanks

Barry Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
Saint O'Que

Buy a food truck

Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Graduate of BBQ Central

For sure if you want take away only, go the food truck route!

Retired Professional photographer...
26 years specializing in food and food styling.
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

Welcome to The Forum Barry, food truck does sound like the way, keep us in the loop on your endeavor.
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Barry. Welcome. Have seen quite a few take out type businesses over the years which seemed to do ok. Know one old guy who made a good living for quite a few years peddling bbq sandwiches from a quasi shack near a light industrial area. He cooked beef knuckles on a big log burning offset..sliced it paper thin with a commercial slicer and throwed it in a roaster with the cheapest sauce he could find..then piled it high and deep on the cheapest buns he could find. An old black guy named Smitty down in the Robstown had a shack on the parking lot of a big Mom n Pop grocery store. He cooked up whatever meat which was turning brown from the store and sold it by the pound. Person liable to get round steak or chuck roast etc. He always had link sausage. Never did catch him with a brisket. He had a huge cinder block pit which took up nearly his whole space. He was always griping that he could make more money if they let him sell complete plates with tater salad and beans etc. as opposed to just the meat. Due to Obummer..the drought..blizzards etc. They say beef is headed out the roof on prices. Big article in the paper on that yesterday. They say the bbq joints are going to hurt bad because of it. Any type of retail food business is a real hard way to make a living and survive..with bbq being no exception. With most food trucks your still going to need a base of operations..or commercial commisary as the health goons call it up here. As far as pits..Southern Prides and Ole Hickorys is what most of the big boys use around here. Few Oylers. Keeps us posted. Thanks.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

I agree that a food truck is is way to go, If you want to sell bbq to go. The lower overhead, compared to a brick and mortar storefront will keep costs competitive. If you're going to do it, just be sure it's 100% for sure what you want to do. It's not easy. Research the hell out of it first. And be prepared to work 16 hour days. But when someone comes back and tells you it was the best pulled pork they've ever had, it's pretty gratifying. Maybe it gets easier after a while I'm just starting out too. But if I had to do it over, I'd do it just the same!
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Ok..now are we going to to cook all this stuff in the truck? Its time for a reality check..unless yall live in a real backwards hick town without any health nazis on duty in your area. Woud not work in Foat Wuth.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
BBQ Central Pro

Mine passed Nebraska state health inspection. And I live in Omaha, a city of 1 million+ souls. I wouldn't exactly call it backwoods. I don't really do any cooking in the truck. Just keep it warm in the steam tables and serve it. But to pass inspection you must prove that you can cook food in the truck ( 40 to 165 in 30 min) and have nsf stainless steel work surfaces. And have a 3 compartment dish sink, plus a separate hand wash sink. Refrigeration units must be below 45 degrees and be equipped with a thermometer to prove it. A ventilation hood is required and in most cities, be equipped with a fire safe ANSA system. (Omaha is thankfully not one of these, they cost a small fortune.)Waste water tank must be 15% bigger than freshwater tank, and water heater has to be able to reach 110 degrees. There's a bunch more, the health department is no joke. I'm not mad at them though, it's their job to keep people safe from foodbourne illness. I'd rather play by their rules than give someone botulism!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
BBQ NOOB

I own a building 1 block off of a busy Highway; was thinking of putting the pit on the side of building and doing take out only; with access to interior for other kitchen needs; storage; bathroom ; which would leave about 500 sf for other space.
Thanks
Barry Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Bubba View Post
I own a building 1 block off of a busy Highway; was thinking of putting the pit on the side of building and doing take out only; with access to interior for other kitchen needs; storage; bathroom ; which would leave about 500 sf for other space.
Thanks
Well if you already own the building, that's a different story! Does the building already have a commercial kitchen?