Wanna try my first Fattie..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

californiagrillin

Senior Cook
It's a beautiful 77 degrees out today, sitting in the backyard with the family enjoying some good music, board games and some cold adult pops and thought this would be a perfect time to try smoking a fattie. My question's are: Can I use any type of rub I choose, what temp should I be smoking it at and for how long?

I use my every day go to rub, what ever suits your fancy! I smoke them in the 260* range. Mine take about 3 hours but they are fat. I don't use breakfast sausage, I use italian sausage and stuff it with what ever is in the fridge! The internal temp should hit 165*.

That's what i did my first one with. It becomes addicting and you will have to try and experiment with all different things aftre that! Every time I cook something for the firehouse, I always throw on 2 or 3 of them, the guys love um!

I have only made them with breakfast sausage and use whatever rub is on hand. I prefer making my fatties without anything inside of them.

so the grill is heating up, the rub is on the sausage and I'm going through my selection of wood chunks that I have available. Looks as though I'm out of Hickory, my choices are: Mesquite, Pecan or Apple. Recomendations?

WOW! I see what the fuss is about. Fattie turned out fabulous. Thank you all for your words of wisdom on grilling procedures and wood flavors. Very good. Made some biscuits and made it all the better. Will post pics manana as I have been slightly over served (by me, of course) and am unable to download at this moment :oops: :? :D

I know we have a lot of new guys here, and this hasen't been said in a while...Soooooo ........ no pics = no cook

Ok guys, I got em, I got em. Sorry for the delay.
[attachment=3:1ku5vsjb]Fattie Cook 073.JPG[/attachment:1ku5vsjb]
[attachment=2:1ku5vsjb]Fattie Cook 076.JPG[/attachment:1ku5vsjb]
[attachment=1:1ku5vsjb]Fattie Cook 078.JPG[/attachment:1ku5vsjb]
[attachment=0:1ku5vsjb]Fattie Cook 081.JPG[/attachment:1ku5vsjb]

Pics aren't that great, gotta work on my photography skills, one thing at a time right? The fattie was great. A few of you guys said you stuff yours, what are some suggestions for the stuffing?

Attachments

• Fattie Cook 073.JPG
    Fattie Cook 073.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Fattie Cook 076.JPG
    Fattie Cook 076.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Fattie Cook 078.JPG
    Fattie Cook 078.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 411
  • Fattie Cook 081.JPG
    Fattie Cook 081.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 419
Gotta be careful with those, ya get hooked easy. Pretty soon every time you cook, you'll go looking for sausage and fillings.

Back
Top Bottom