Update Freezing Ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIMMYJAM

Senior Cook
Hey guy's I'm in need of some help today. I bought a nice rack of loin back ribs, I prepped them and rubbed them down but the day got away from me and they never made it to the WSM.....any one ever freeze ribs like this for a couple of days? does it affect flavor? or have any bad side affects? Thx guys I really don't wanna use the crock pot on these :(

Re: Freezing Ribs?

I have never tried the freeze thaw method but it has to be better than the alternative. How many days are we talking? 2-3 and I would leave it in the fridge (may be pushing it). 4+ and I would roll my dice on the freezer.

Sounds like Dry has some great advice for you. Now I would vote for freezing if even for a coupla days. Worst thing could happen would be your rub prob penetrate quite a bit deeper than normal. Not sure the physical impact be any worser or mo betta than holding them in the fridge for a few days. Let us know which path you take and how it works out. I like to learn new stuff. That is why I hang out on here:)

Thx for the advice, I have made alot of ribs in my day but never ran into this problem, I am ganna freeze them till this sat and see what happens I'll let you all know how it goes, I will prolly buy another rack sat in case these are bad but I hope not.

Ok kindly keeps us posted. Seems like I remember one time Griff spoke of freezing partially brined corned beef for a few years and think it come out ok. I was craving to do some spares today but aint found none on sale anywhere sniff sniff. I could go borrow my chums Sams card but it a long way over there and back and its hot. Maybe we will do baloney sandwiches for supper and save the ribs for another day too.

Well this weekend I made the ribs, thawed for a day in the fridge. They came out really good I was shocked...I thought the rub sitting on them that long would drowned out any taste of pork but that was not the case and I think this is a fine way to keep ribs you have not had a chance to cook. The frozen ribs are on the right. I also made another rack with them in case they sucked, I am reheating those tonight with a little dockterd up bullseye can't wait to see how this rack came out.

Fresh from the freezer lol
img_241883_0_b7eb8e953a01c9974b5642a080ca9c93.jpg

img_241883_1_e3195b3bc42d21656a922c5c6a5f34ab.jpg

img_241883_2_117398746267a83aa849525277031825.jpg

img_241883_3_fd37f290056bbd871817f75b66bd9b8d.jpg

img_241883_4_8245cd92d00fff727798ef40bb129c28.jpg

img_241883_5_cd47454d5df584a041240796267caabb.jpg

The Ribs look great. There's a time when Osmosis and Diffusion max out-looks and sounds as though your ribs timed it perfectly.

Looks tasty!
I've vacuum sealed and froze "prepped" meats for anywhere from 1 to 7 days, never had any problem with the quality.... I try to do that with only fresh/not previously frozen meats though.

Back
Top Bottom