Tri Tip holding advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Ok.. here is the deal... you guys let me know if this sounds right...

I am planning to do 3 or 4 tri-tips on the grill for a "picnic" of sorts, along with some grilled veggies for another round of fajitas (sorry Helen :badgrin: ) The problem is that the "picnic" is about an hour or so away.

Can I grill these Tri-tips to about 135 and wrap them in foil and drop them in the cooler and keep them hot for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours and then pull them out and slice them and hopefully they will have come up to 140 to 145 and still be medium rare to medium?

Does that sound about right to you.. or should I pull them sooner.. say at 125-130?

Advice please

Thanks
Gary

Gary in VA said:
Ok.. here is the deal... you guys let me know if this sounds right...

I am planning to do 3 or 4 tri-tips on the grill for a "picnic" of sorts, along with some grilled veggies for another round of fajitas (sorry Helen :badgrin: ) The problem is that the "picnic" is about an hour or so away.

Can I grill these Tri-tips to about 135 and wrap them in foil and drop them in the cooler and keep them hot for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours and then pull them out and slice them and hopefully they will have come up to 140 to 145 and still be medium rare to medium?

Does that sound about right to you.. or should I pull them sooner.. say at 125-130?

Advice please

Thanks
Gary

Gary the only thing I'd worry about is the meat being in the danger zone for too long. Even though it's beef, it would concern me because you're not getting the meat up high enough in the first place to hold for that period of time IMO.

If it's possible I'd try to cook onsite, especially since it's just a simple grill cook. BTW, beef fajitas are supposed to be made with flank steak! 8-[

I think you may have a problem getting everything you are hoping for. Unfortunately trying to keep what is basically a steak warm for that long will either fail or cook the steak more. Cook on site if possible, reheat or serve cold if you can't.

Helen_Paradise said:
For the sake of my tri tip...don't do it.

I have to agree amigo. The longer you let that rest the more it will continue to cook. It will be WAY over done. Its hard to keep meat like that. Why not just cook on site? You can use my Kettle if you need it.

Captain Morgan said:
Tailgate. Cook in the parking lot. Send everyone in to have fun
while you cook. Then you eat and have fun.
If you Tailgate they will come to you. :grin: =D>

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Helen_Paradise":2f9506k0]For the sake of my tri tip...don't do it.

I have to agree amigo. The longer you let that rest the more it will continue to cook. It will be WAY over done. Its hard to keep meat like that. Why not just cook on site? You can use my Kettle if you need it.[/quote:2f9506k0]

They may over cook initially but I think with the pieces of meat not being closer to 200* like a shoulder or a brisket or having the mass of the shoulder or brisket that it would cool very fast and sit in the "no no" zone for too long!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":3rzbv5q5][quote="Helen_Paradise":3rzbv5q5]For the sake of my tri tip...don't do it.

I have to agree amigo. The longer you let that rest the more it will continue to cook. It will be WAY over done. Its hard to keep meat like that. Why not just cook on site? You can use my Kettle if you need it.[/quote:3rzbv5q5]

They may over cook initially but I think with the pieces of meat not being closer to 200* like a shoulder or a brisket or having the mass of the shoulder or brisket that it would cool very fast and sit in the "no no" zone for too long![/quote:3rzbv5q5]

Not trying to argue with ya or anything Larry... BUT... I would have a tendancy to agree with you if it were only one tri tip.. but I will be doing 4 total and I was figuring the mass of them together would hold the temp if I wrapped them together.. or even if I wrapped them separately and packed them tightly together... what do you think about that? Actually I am more afraid of overcooking them at that point.

Gary in VA said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2zy61ly6][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2zy61ly6][quote="Helen_Paradise":2zy61ly6]For the sake of my tri tip...don't do it.

I have to agree amigo. The longer you let that rest the more it will continue to cook. It will be WAY over done. Its hard to keep meat like that. Why not just cook on site? You can use my Kettle if you need it.[/quote:2zy61ly6]

They may over cook initially but I think with the pieces of meat not being closer to 200* like a shoulder or a brisket or having the mass of the shoulder or brisket that it would cool very fast and sit in the "no no" zone for too long![/quote:2zy61ly6]

Not trying to argue with ya or anything Larry... BUT... I would have a tendancy to agree with you if it were only one tri tip.. but I will be doing 4 total and I was figuring the mass of them together would hold the temp if I wrapped them together.. or even if I wrapped them separately and packed them tightly together... what do you think about that? Actually I am more afraid of overcooking them at that point.[/quote:2zy61ly6]
Be afraid.... be very afraid.

They will be overdone.

Gary in VA said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":kzg87alh][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":kzg87alh][quote="Helen_Paradise":kzg87alh]For the sake of my tri tip...don't do it.

I have to agree amigo. The longer you let that rest the more it will continue to cook. It will be WAY over done. Its hard to keep meat like that. Why not just cook on site? You can use my Kettle if you need it.[/quote:kzg87alh]

They may over cook initially but I think with the pieces of meat not being closer to 200* like a shoulder or a brisket or having the mass of the shoulder or brisket that it would cool very fast and sit in the "no no" zone for too long![/quote:kzg87alh]

Not trying to argue with ya or anything Larry... BUT... I would have a tendancy to agree with you if it were only one tri tip.. but I will be doing 4 total and I was figuring the mass of them together would hold the temp if I wrapped them together.. or even if I wrapped them separately and packed them tightly together... what do you think about that? Actually I am more afraid of overcooking them at that point.[/quote:kzg87alh]

Honestly Gary I'm just going with my gut, so I don't know either. But I guess the way I'm thinking is if you cook 1 or 4 of 2-3lb pieces of meat to 130*, they may rise some (they will continue to cook/steam), but I can't imagine them staying above 140 (actually in this case you don't want them to) for two hours IMO. Just my .02, like I said I don't know. Whatever you decided to do, tell us how it turned out!

Gary in VA said:
now I don't know what to doooooooooo :tant: :tant: :tant: :tant: :tant:

Well if you can't cook it there.

Cook it the day before, slice it and put it in zip loc bags. Take it out of the cooler 30 minutes before you're ready to eat to warm up. Ain't nuttin' wrong wif eatin' cold fajitas!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Gary in VA":1z2av09j]now I don't know what to doooooooooo :tant: :tant: :tant: :tant: :tant:

Well if you can't cook it there.

Cook it the day before, slice it and put it in zip loc bags. Take it out of the cooler 30 minutes before you're ready to eat to warm up. Ain't nuttin' wrong wif eatin' cold fajitas![/quote:1z2av09j]

Actually, I was considering that... I will have to email them and see if they will let me zap the meat in their Micro (sorry Helen)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom