Thoughts on "Searing in the Juices..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I was going to be covering this topic at some point on the internet radio show...

I would like to hear from you who think searing "seals" in the juices and why you think that happens.

I would also like to hear from those of you who think that it is just a myth and has become popular culture to say that is what is happening.

Thanks in advance! :D

After readin bout reverse searin, that seems to be the best way to cook a thick tender steak. I never do it though, when I started Qin in 76 I learned from my Pop (dad). Reverse was what we used to back the PU out the driveway. Today when I fire up my grill the coals are hotest at the begining & start loosing heat after a while. So to me its just a habit to sear the steak 1st then finish as the coals loose heat.
I know I could add another chimny but thats to much trouble.
The whole conveiance of grillin is to cook quick & eat.
I used to grill with a gas charbroil, but missed that charcoal/wood flavor
It would be easy to reverse sear with gas, now my charbroil is just used as a grate cleaner

I tried searing and reverse searing and they both seal in the juices.. Why? I am not an expert, but I think, because the crust on the outside of the seared steak makes a protective crisp layer and the juices can't release.. I still haven't figured out the reverse searing method.. Larry wolfe is the best at both methods... My 2 Centovos... :D

Actually neither way seals in the juices. Cooking a thin steak, burger or poultry, quick searing is the best way to cook. However, cooking a thicker piece of meat IMO the reverse sear is the best way to cook all large cuts.

Here's why..........if you cook a thick piece of meat using the "Reverse Sear" method you are slowly increasing the internal temp to begin the cooking process, therefore not forcing the internal meat temperature to increase/cook and start to steam out. Once it's time for the sear your meat is 3/4 of the way cooked (100*-110* internal). So your meat is now "tempered" and ready for the quick extreme heat of the sear without the SHOCK of the sudden heat and will not be exposed as long as it would if you seared in the beginning. This method will give you a nice uniform doneness all the way through, versus the more commonly seen "Grey outter edges with a rare center"

For anyone who thinks you can "sear the juices of a piece of meat in", try this experiment and you will see you cannot no matter what method you use. Cook a steak to your desired doneness (med well or well will not work cause the meat will be try at that point) using whatever method you want and using tongs to handle the meat. Remove the meat an place it on a dish and let rest for 10 minutes and you will have a puddle of juices PERIOD. If the steak was seared and the juices were sealed it, the plate would be dry.

Another misconception is if you poke a piece of meat with a fork all the juices will run out. Again, not true. The juices in that very small immediate area will, but not in the entire cut.

I've tried it a lot of different ways and always fall back to my favorite. I get the grill to hold about 375 long enough to get the grids hot and then throw them on. Twist after a few minutes for decoration of grill marks, then flip and do the same thing. I keep flipping as needed to allow even cooking temps until they are done to my liking. If it going too fast I move it over to a cooler spot to slow it down. I think 4 inches above the fire is a good starting point. If you go too much lower it will burn the outside before you can get the inside like you like it.

I always get good grill marks and I always get the meat as done as I like it. Simple as that. Before I had one of those fancy temp probes I just used feel to tell me when to pull it off. I too have been grilling since the 70's.

If you rest it afterwards, it will always let out juice no matter what method you use.

Of course this is MHO. I like a medium fire that I can take my time with and do it like I like it.

This should be a very good discussion, especially since there are many ways persons use to get what they call the best steak. I can't wait to here it!

Larry Wolfe said:
For anyone who thinks you can "sear the juices of a piece of meat in", try this experiment and you will see you cannot no matter what method you use. Cook a steak to your desired doneness (med well or well will not work cause the meat will be try at that point) using whatever method you want and using tongs to handle the meat. Remove the meat an place it on a dish and let rest for 10 minutes and you will have a puddle of juices PERIOD. If the steak was seared and the juices were sealed it, the plate would be dry.

ronbeaux50 said:
If you rest it afterwards, it will always let out juice no matter what method you use.
Why are you repeating me?? Great minds think alike Ron! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Diva Q said:
http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Interesting read Diva!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":33lvms9g]For anyone who thinks you can "sear the juices of a piece of meat in", try this experiment and you will see you cannot no matter what method you use. Cook a steak to your desired doneness (med well or well will not work cause the meat will be try at that point) using whatever method you want and using tongs to handle the meat. Remove the meat an place it on a dish and let rest for 10 minutes and you will have a puddle of juices PERIOD. If the steak was seared and the juices were sealed it, the plate would be dry.

ronbeaux50 said:
Why are you repeating me?? Great minds think alike Ron! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote:33lvms9g]

He, like everybody here loves you Larry, thats why! :LOL:
1.gif

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Diva Q":20c7k3r4]http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Interesting read Diva!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":20c7k3r4]For anyone who thinks you can "sear the juices of a piece of meat in", try this experiment and you will see you cannot no matter what method you use. Cook a steak to your desired doneness (med well or well will not work cause the meat will be try at that point) using whatever method you want and using tongs to handle the meat. Remove the meat an place it on a dish and let rest for 10 minutes and you will have a puddle of juices PERIOD. If the steak was seared and the juices were sealed it, the plate would be dry.

ronbeaux50 said:
Why are you repeating me?? Great minds think alike Ron! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote:20c7k3r4]

1.gif
[/quote:20c7k3r4]

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":qa94chrw][quote="Diva Q":qa94chrw]http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Interesting read Diva!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":qa94chrw]For anyone who thinks you can "sear the juices of a piece of meat in", try this experiment and you will see you cannot no matter what method you use. Cook a steak to your desired doneness (med well or well will not work cause the meat will be try at that point) using whatever method you want and using tongs to handle the meat. Remove the meat an place it on a dish and let rest for 10 minutes and you will have a puddle of juices PERIOD. If the steak was seared and the juices were sealed it, the plate would be dry.

ronbeaux50 said:
Why are you repeating me?? Great minds think alike Ron! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote:qa94chrw]

1.gif
[/quote:qa94chrw]

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:[/quote:qa94chrw]

?????????????????????????????????????????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom