Temp Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

californiagrillin

Senior Cook
So I need a little help and or advice. Tried slow cooking 6 racks of baby backs last sunday and had issues with maintaining temp or should I say reaching the proper temp levels. I'm cooking on the Char-Griller Duo with the off-set attachment. I filled up the off-set with Cowboy Lump, (as this is the only lump I've been able to find locally), put my ribs in using a rib rack, (first time with a rack by the way) and struggled from that point on trying to reach a temp of 225. Could never get above 200. Never had this problem before. The only thing I did different was not using an aluminum bread pan with water in it as a heat deflector as suggested in Gary Wiviott's "Low & Slow" book. Pan had a leak so I 86'd it. Could this have been my problem?

That sounds like just the opposite. No water pan should be higher temps. Could the lump have gotten wet at some point, even prior to lighting it up?

Nick's right, the water pan had nothing to do with it.
I've never cooked on that grill, but I would have added
more lit lump till the temps came up.

Ive cooked on that same set-up and I had a problem with the temp. the other way,had a hard time keeping the temp down.I had to move coals close to the door and keep the vent totally covered(air was gettin in from somewhere)This was my first time using this pit(Brother-in law put me in charge at his party)

Only way that set up could cook too slow is it aint getting enough air to the fire. Fix it and kindly repoat back with the results. Thanks.

bigwheel

Shores said:
Air flow!
bigwheel said:
Only way that set up could cook too slow is it aint getting enough air to the fire. Fix it and kindly repoat back with the results. Thanks.

bigwheel

I would agree with you, however, I had the side vent opened all the way along with the smokestack vent. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Gonna try again in the morning. Attempting my first butt. Will repoat results. ;)

I have not used this type of smoker, so excuse my ignorance. Is there a grate for the coals to rest on or do the coals just rest on the bottom of the fire box? If they just rest on the bottom of the fire box I would suggest getting a grate. This will allow more air flow around the coals.

Shores said:
I have not used this type of smoker, so excuse my ignorance. Is there a grate for the coals to rest on or do the coals just rest on the bottom of the fire box? If they just rest on the bottom of the fire box I would suggest getting a grate. This will allow more air flow around the coals.
Captain Morgan said:
good point Shores

There is a grate on the bottom. I currently have a butt on the grill and I took Nick's advice as to use more "Lit Coals" this time and so far so good. Keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom