Stellina Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I tried out another recipe from my Christmas cook book "Primal Cuts, Cooking with America's Best Butchers" yesterday. Stellina Beef Stew gets its name from chef/butcher Christian Caiazzo. His restaurant in Point Reyes, California, "Osteria Stellina" is named for his daughter, Stellina.

Even though the temperature outside has been in the high 70's here this week, a winter dish like beef stew sounded good. :LOL: I used 3.5 lbs. of stew beef seared in my CI dutch oven then added onion, carrots and celery. Spices consisted of garlic, chili flakes, one cinnamon stick, Italian flat-leaf parsley, thyme, sage (recipe called for winter savory which I couldn't find so I substituted the sage), bay leaf and 1 cup of quality red wine to deglaze the pot after browning the meat and sweating out the vegis. Added seven cups of beef stock and then let it cook for about two hours at pit temperatures ranging between 350 to 400 degrees.

The recipe assumes you'll be using an oven but this dish worked out well on the Performer. Ladled the stew on a nice bed of egg noodles beside a green salad with some Italian bread. Yum!

Browned the meat in olive oil over the hot coals.

After meat was browned, pulled it out of the pan and sautéed the onion, carrots and celery with spices.

Deglazed the pot with the wine and then added the beef stock. Moved pot to indirect heat.

After a couple of hours the stew had cooked down and was ready to eat.

Platted stew over a bed of egg noodles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks fantastic!!!! Even though the temps are nice during the day it still getting pretty chilly at night. I was telling my Wife last night we need to make some beef stew or beef soup. I might have to make a pot tomorrow.

Wow Lew that is some good looking stew. Now I think you be just the person to axe about this. Whut is a chili flake? I got one of my favorite quick brine recipes which call for it but I cant figger out whut it is. Thanks. Now if a person wanted to add some tates and remove a strategic cinnamon stick and a few other odd spices or two..that could pass as januine Texican Stoup. That is whut me and girlfriend Rachel Ray calls the taint. Taint soup and it taint stew. lol

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Wow Lew that is some good looking stew. Now I think you be just the person to axe about this. Whut is a chili flake? I got one of my favorite quick brine recipes which call for it but I cant figger out whut it is. Thanks. Now if a person wanted to add some tates and remove a strategic cinnamon stick and a few other odd spices or two..that could pass as januine Texican Stoup. That is whut me and girlfriend Rachel Ray calls the taint. Taint soup and it taint stew. lol

bigwheel
Hi bigwheel. As near as I can tell, chili flake is the same as crushed red pepper. There's a lot of variety in the product and some are hotter or more flavorful than others. I just used the standby brand offered up by McCormick.

I stumbled on this recipe on-line for Texican taco soup. What do you think of the list of ingredients?
http://www.familyoven.com/recipe/cesar- ... go-/308534

Looks yummy to me. Was fixing to start nagging about using up a whole 12 pack of beer but then I seen all but one was for the cook. I can live with that:)

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom