Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnBrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
You will also find that eating food cooked on a gas grill is something like eating food cooked over charcoal or wood, but with a rubber on your tongue.
=D> =D>
:lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #2

I have a neighbor down the street who bought a behemoth stainless steel gasser last year. I asked him why he needed one as big as he got and he just stated that he loved the look of the stainless steel.

In his case, it's a matter of trying to impress people who come over his house and see it and hoping they'll think he knows how to cook. In some cases it's just to show that you've "arrived", nice home in the burbs, nice patio, SUV & Mini-Van, big stainless steel grill.

I'll take a Weber kettle and my WSM any day. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Good luck with your grill.

Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #3

I'm not sure TexLaw....
Are you saying he should have gone with charcoal?

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo's Que
Texlaw, thats the funniest thing i have heard in a long time. =D>
Well, if it's funny, it's only because it's true.

It burns me up to see someone spend that kind of money in the name of "convenience," where that "convenience" is on the order of saving about 10 minutes (if that) that they could just as easily save from managing their time and learning a few simple things. What are you going to do with that 10 minutes, anyhow? Hit the snooze button in the morning?

Then, they get inferior food and come back with "How I can I make my food taste like it was cooked over charcoal? How can I add that authentic smoke flavor to what I cook on my gas grill?" Well, folks, you can't. Convenience and sleek don't add flavor to food. Sometimes, you have to go a little bit (and I mean just a little bit) out of your way to get the best result. Sometimes, it even costs less to do it.

If you want a close shave, use a blade. If you want your grilled food to taste like it was grilled, use charcoal and wood. TL
Well after that post, I'm ashamed to even admit I have a gas grill.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Web Celeb

I think you made a good decison...wether it be gas or charcoal...you can screw it up either way and then it still tastes like crap!

A lot of this stuff is personal preference. I doubt if anyone I know would be able to tell the difference between steaks on the Silver B or done on a kettle...this might vary from group to group. If it tastes good and you think you did the right thing then that is the right thing to do!

Don't forget Tex...you still ain't making real BBQ on that stick burner, right??!!! =D> =D> #-o
Old 04-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
BBQ Centralite

Taurus,

Congratulations on the new pit. I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment out of it but also believe that the more you get into it the more you'll gravitate to charcoal. Personally, I find a tremendous difference in flavor between gas and charcoal plus the added thrill that cooking over a real wood fire gives you. I look forward to those flare ups.

I agree with you that gas is more convenient than charcoal but the difference in effort is marginal and the additional floavor is exceptional, in my opinion. I own both gas and wood/charcoal pits & grills. Gas allows me to cook more easily in the winter. Charcoal is a little more challenging but I've done it in over 10 inches of snow.

Make sure you get the rotisserie attachment for your Weber. You'll love it.
Keep us posted on your cooks. Good luck!

Kloset

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #7

Taurus, congrats.....when you ask a question here, you get honest answers, and that's important.

I will only add that you don't need to spend that much money on a gasser, but if you're cool with that, go ahead.

I'd get a Weber in the 500/600 range, then buy a Weber Kettle charcoal grill to go with it. Nothing is more impressive than seeing 2 grills on a patio, except when you have 3! I must admit, since I got my kettle, I haven't turned on my gasser, and the food tastes better. Finally, the Kettle model with ash collecter makes it very easy to maintain!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Graduate of BBQ Central

I get asked all the time what I think someone should buy for their backyard to grill on. I will give my opinion and my wife is always on my ass cause I give them what I know works. I have started asking people if they want stainless because if that is the case I tell them if your considering spending about $3000 to $5000 you can get something that will work well. Under that price range in general you can get buy but what most the money is going to is the cost of the stainless not what makes a grill an outstanding cooker.
For the price range your in I would consider ceramic cookers.
Jim
Old 04-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #9

Taurus, You won't regret your purchase. I bought the same style Weber grill 15 years ago and it's still going strong! I still have the original burners. Only replaced the flavorizer bars once (last year) and the grate twice. My grill sits out on my deck year round, uncovered and is used 3 - 4 times per week. I just recently purchased my first charcol grill and use that quite often now also. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #10

Glenn pretty much nailed it....you're gonna love that grill. Next hundred bucks you get to blow, go ahead and buy a kettle...you'll love that too.