So I decided...and Im going gas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

I thought I'd add my two cents.( better late than never)

The major difference between cooking on gas, wood (down to embers) or charcoal is the temp achieved and the method of heat transfer.

Gas does it by convection, flame heats air, air heats meat. Wood and charcoal do it by radiation. It's the higher temps in conjuction with the direct heat tranfer that creates the carbonization (char) of the natural sugars in the meat. That's what gives the "true grilled flavor". Having PCI grates on a gasser does add a little char flavor.

But you all know all that I'm sure. I just had the urge to type !!

Anyway there is an alternative, albeit expensive, and thats an infrared grill. It has the convenience of gas and cooks by radiation. Those suckers can get wicked hot like 1200°. Great for steaks.

Al

I wrote a piece on a TEC grill once. They are very expensive but do get the higest temp at meat level. I priced one out and it was the "Patio II" model...it was selling for $1300 or so and no bigger in size than my Silver B...that was delivered and set-up from the store! :eek:

It did have some nice features but was still a lot of $$...if I lived in Florida I probably would have bought one due to the better weather on a more regular basis.

Cleveland today, cold (low 40's) and raining hard!! :-(

That would be a full time job just shining up all that stainless steel.

Somebody somewhere has one of those :) , I'll still put my WSM and kettle up against him any day.

Uncle Al said:
Greg,

I thought they were expensive, for sure, until I spyed this little gem. :ack:
This must be what you use to cook the expensive as hell ribs !!!!!

http://www.frontgate.com/fg/pdp.jsp?pro ... 1&cursor=3

Al

Little is an understatement...I think if I had something like that I would have to put it under a linai or hard cover...I have a hard enought time letting my Silver B and WSM get rained on...I would probably die if I had something like this! #-o

And there is no way I could put that thing in my attic during the winter!! :!: :grin:

I think I some what have to agree with Burnt. Justthe opposite though, I have always cooked on gas and just recently purchased a kettle. It's a whole different animal! I'm getting there though and having a blast along the way! :!:

TexLaw said:
Burnt Dude, I pretty much agree with what you say, but I want to expand on it. I encourage challenging yourself when it comes to cooking. Whether we're talking about methods, styles, or ingredients, I encourage the challenge. About the only exception there is when cost or safety concerns prohibit it. I don't like ruts, and I don't like to see people in a rut. From the sound of it, you like the challenge, too, so you know what I'm talking about.

Just like a handgun, you cannot know what's most comfortable until you get your hands on it.

TL

I pretty much enjoy the challenge of an electric George Foreman Grill! (Larrys ducking for cover)

It's actually a pretty good book too. All recipes tell you how to do them on different types of indoor grills. My wife got a VillaWare panini grill for Christmas and I bought her (me) the indoor grilling cook book. I've made several good things out of it on her little grill and on the grill built into our range (that's the only gas grill I own).

If you want a Contact Grill (George Forman type) buy the VillaWare. It's the one Steven R. recommends. :(

TexLaw said:
Aw, hell, Larry. We all know you're the master of the microwave. If it weren't for you and your trailblazing into radioactive cuisine, I'd still be cooking with fire. TL

I forgot about the microwave post, that does kinda go hand and hand with the GF Grill. :) :) :) :) :)

TexLaw said:
LOL, Larry! Why not just stick with a plain ol' clothes iron?

I have been eyeing those sandwich presses, Finney. Which one do you have?

TL

Hey Tex, when you use an iron, It leaves really neat circle marks in the sandwich! If its drying out, just give it a quick shot of steam and its as good as new!

I can't believe I missed this thread! GAS SUCKS! I personally, will NEVER buy another gas grill! Gas pit maybe. I think that the only flavor that gas imparts, is the flavor of the old crud that sticks all over everything inside, then heats up, catches on fire and burns, adding lots of nice carcinogens. Want to clean out your charcoal grill? Turn it over, wipe it out! Frankly, if you want really good steaks, you must cook them over hardwood coals that you burnt down from logs yourself!

Woodman said:
Frankly, if you want really good steaks, you must cook them over hardwood coals that you burnt down from logs yourself!

I also leave the cow's head attached to the steaks...that's the only REAL steak.

Back
Top Bottom