Santa Maria Tri Tip with PatioDaddio’s Grilled Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
First off just want to say thanks to PatioDaddio for the great salad.
It was a hit.

Well I picked up a USDA Choice Tri Tip from my local butcher The Beef Palace.
Since the wife is pregnant it was easy to justify a $27 hunk of beef on a Wednesday night!

The cook wasn't easy. I was up against the clock. American Idol was starting at 8. :P

Used a traditional Santa Maria rub of fresh garlic Kosher Salt and Black Pepper.
Added some onion powder (not so traditional) Mushed it all into a paste.

Rested on the counter to almost room temp for 25 min. (the tri tip not me)
Hit it with olive oil then the rub.
Seared it 4 min per side than moved it to the side for 40 min to smoke roast with Red Oak.
The Red Oak was also smoken while it was searing.

Pulled it at about 130 and it came up to about 140. after resting for 20 minutes lightly tented with foil.

All looks delicious. I need to try a tri-tip sometime and I think the wife would like the Patio Daddio salad too. Is that feta on the salad?

Very nice presentation Mike. I have a question for you about storing tri-tip in the freezer. I purchase a pack of four at the Restaurant Depot, cooked one and froze the other three. Do you think freezing will change the texture or quality of the meat? Would it have been better to cook first and then freeze the finished product?

The tri-tips were individually vacuum sealed with a Food Saver before putting them in the freezer. I know you do some competition cooking and such so I thought you might have some experience with this. What's your thought on this?

Smokey Lew said:
Very nice presentation Mike. I have a question for you about storing tri-tip in the freezer. I purchase a pack of four at the Restaurant Depot, cooked one and froze the other three. Do you think freezing will change the texture or quality of the meat? Would it have been better to cook first and then freeze the finished product?

Hi Lew.
Although I wouldn't use previously frozen meat for a competition I think it's perfectly fine, especially if it's vacusealed. Vacusealing prevents freezer burn, by preventing oxygen from touching the meat. On a scale of 1-10 freezing meat might only bring it down to an 8. Saving money on meat, more than makes up for the loss of flavor, when freezing. Plus it's fun to vacuseal meat. Albertsons just had sirloin roast on sale for $1.89 a lb. Needless to say my freezer is filled with vacusealed sirloin roasts.
P.S. how is the rotisserie treating you?
Mike

Great looking tri-tip plus I see you are using the fastest, most accurate, most popular BLACK thermopen; GOOD CHOICE!!! :D

That looks great man. I would like to make one someday... Thanks for sharing.

Bruce B said:
Great looking tri-tip plus I see you are using the fastest, most accurate, most popular BLACK thermopen; GOOD CHOICE!!! :D

I bought the blue, but I'm hoping to move up to the black for
fasters results.

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Bruce B":19chii3y]Great looking tri-tip plus I see you are using the fastest, most accurate, most popular BLACK thermopen; GOOD CHOICE!!! :D

fasters results.[/quote:19chii3y]

I have the yellow and its slow as hell! :LOL: Tri tip looked good, a little over done for my tastes. ;)

Hey Tri Tip, thanks for trying the salad. I'm glad that it worked well for you.

Awesome job on that beef, dude!

John

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":2i13zyl6][quote="Bruce B":2i13zyl6]Great looking tri-tip plus I see you are using the fastest, most accurate, most popular BLACK thermopen; GOOD CHOICE!!! :D

fasters results.[/quote:2i13zyl6]

I have the yellow and its slow as hell! :LOL: Tri tip looked good, a little over done for my tastes. ;)[/quote:2i13zyl6]

I had to buy my son the water resistant RED after I left his yellow out overnight over Thanksgiving. Who would have figured that it would rain in Oregon?

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Bruce B":2aqlbrt3]Great looking tri-tip plus I see you are using the fastest, most accurate, most popular BLACK thermopen; GOOD CHOICE!!! :D

fasters results.[/quote:2aqlbrt3]

Yeah I took mine in to get polished and now it works even faster!

PatioDaddio said:
Hey Tri Tip, thanks for trying the salad. I'm glad that it worked well for you.

Awesome job on that beef, dude!

John

I prefer grilling over bbq so anytime I see something like that I gotta try it.
It was excellent!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom