Royal Oak Briquettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royal Oak Briquettes are hurrible. Give about half the burn times and at least as much ash as Kingsford. I would not take some if it was free.
bigwheel

Don't hold back, now, bigwheel - Just tell us how you really feel about it.

lol2.gif

Wiley

Boy, these last few posts brought back a Blast From The Past, reading the rest of the thread...

IF you have a "Gordon's Food Service" near you, try their natural lump charcoal. It has all the good points of the Royal Oak, but without the moon rocks and the fiberglass bits (so far, anyway). Much larger chunks, too. It's about the same price per pound as the Royal Oak, unless you find a good sale on the RO.

I agree Gordon Foods lump is every bit as good as RO if not better. Here in the north I can find GFS lump year around, WM only carries RO during the "Grilling Season." GFS has other great food stuff to, if you have one in your area check it out.

BTW - If I am reading correctly this "very old" thread is talking about RO Briquettes not lump, can't say I've ever found or tried RO Briquettes.

Last edited:
I have used them before, but for me it is not practical. For as little as I use charcoal, it is not worth the extra money.

Yes..I dont like RO briquettes. Always found their lump variant tolerable. Just dont find it available much around here.

I have 30 bgs of RO briquettes in my garage, don't have a problem with it :confused:.

By the way, i think Royal Oak makes the lump for Gordon Foods :D

Glad the RO Briquettes work for you. The times I have tried them over the years they seem to last about half as long as crappy old Kingsford.

I thought everyone used kingsford for briquettes, and cowboy for lumps, and lots of wood. I was wrong?

Glad the RO Briquettes work for you. The times I have tried them over the years they seem to last about half as long as crappy old Kingsford.

I haven't did a test to see what burns longer. But, I use the briqs with hickory in them. I have use Kingsford with hickory, and I like the R.O. better (I thought I ended up with a better smoke flavor).
I also like they way they burn in my PitMaker.
It works for me (and that's what counts) ;)

I thought everyone used kingsford for briquettes, and cowboy for lumps, and lots of wood. I was wrong?

I use kingsford when i grill, R.O. lump (I don't use much lump), and I use lots of wood.
Use what works for you, and when I find it on sale, by the heck out of it. :D
When I do steaks, it like to burn down hickory wood to coals

Back before swearing off nasty old charcoal..Ozark Oak was the cats meow for quick grilling on the chicken blaster. Large bore mesquite lump for slow to fast direct on the big pit. Chef's Choice is the tool. Comes in 40 lb. bags and wildly varied on the size of the chunks. Sometimes there is small trees down in there. Does not play well with R2D2 water smokers.

R.O. brickets

use R.O. brickets quite often halve not had any trouble getting them started in my smoker (LANG60) just load the old chimeny lite news papper and away we go in my rig i get better burn time than b.b. kingsford (clorox) R.O. does make GREEN EGG,KROGERS,WALLMART,WINN DIXE,HOME DEPOT when hicorey spec. was sold to BOB EVENS they kept liquid smoke and sold the charcoal div. to R.O.

Back before swearing off nasty old charcoal..Ozark Oak was the cats meow for quick grilling on the chicken blaster. Large bore mesquite lump for slow to fast direct on the big pit. Chef's Choice is the tool. Comes in 40 lb. bags and wildly varied on the size of the chunks. Sometimes there is small trees down in there. Does not play well with R2D2 water smokers.

Ya that the problem I have using lump with my WSM (runaway temps). When I pull the dome off to wrap, or glaze, I get temp spikes. I find that briqs doesn't seem to do that as much, unless you overload it.
As far Kingsford BB tasten funny, maybe ur mommas gave u more taste buds than mine :(

Yes the water smokers can be finicky on what they like to burn. Ozark Oak is the only lump that seems to work in mine. Has mostly smallish fairly uniform shaped chunks...which puts out good heat but dont last long. The large bore mesquite dont pack in there right. Our old chum Big Dave Pauling got very proficient at winning on Chicken using Kingsford mesquite flavor Briquettes. So guess all that stuff can work. If other aspects are done right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom