Roast Beef for Future Sammies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
Back in October there was a posting on the forum for a meat mop that was created by the infamous Waler Jetton in the 1940's. I decided I was going to try it out on a roast I picked up for half price at the local supper market.

I cut some slits in the roast and poked plenty of fresh garlic in them. After that, I seasoned the roast with some Susie Q's Santa Maria Valley Style Seasoning. Once that was done, I seared the roast in a CI kettle, placed it in the Performer with a couple of foiled potatoes and moped the roast with the Waler Jetton meat mop sauce.

As the roast cooked, I continued mopping it about every 20 minutes until it reached an internal temperature of 125 degrees. After it rested for about 10 minutes, it was sliced up for dinner (sorry no plated picture) and the next morning the rest was sliced and bagged for future sandwiches.

The roast had a nice taste of garlic and seasonings from the rub and mop. I have about a half gallon of the mop left over and plan on freezing a lot of it for future use.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very, very nice Lew. I guess I better start planning my next trip to Riversid. Mind if I pull the mohome out front and stay for a spell? The problem is, with cookin like that I'll never leave. I'll bring my WSM and some beer :)

Toby keil said:
Very, very nice Lew. I guess I better start planning my next trip to Riversid. Mind if I pull the mohome out front and stay for a spell? The problem is, with cookin like that I'll never leave. I'll bring my WSM and some beer :)
That actually sounds like fun Toby. You're welcome anytime.

I really do think that if that were in my house, there would be nothing to vacuum freeze!

Toby keil said:

I'm down, pick me up in Orange on the way down! I'll bring the PBRs! ;)

Back
Top Bottom