Ribs on the Primo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ineffectual

Assistant Cook
here is after and before pictures of my first Primo cook. http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/Ineffectual/
Two things that could have been done differently was indirect and less unlit fuel. The fire was too close to the ribs. The ring was filled a little half way. I only placed a few (6) lit pieces of charcoal on top and opened vents all the way. Temp raised quickly. First time I used Cowboy. The bag I bought has a lot of little pieces.

Other than the burnt part the ribs were great
I think I am going to like this cooker :D .

If you ever decide that you don't like that cooker you can send me a pm and I will send you my address....... :D

I have heard a lot of non-pro remarks about Cowboy lump. I have used RO lump with great results.

Good first cook on the Primo. ;)

Cowyboy always has a lot of small pieces. It's mostly made from scraps from flooring mills. One of it's strengths is that it's fairly consistently sized -- so you know what to expect. One of it's weaknesses is that it's fairly consistently small sized -- so it lights hot, but burns down to lower heat pretty quickly.

IMO it's not very good charcoal. Not that I'd throw it out or wouldn't use it over Kingsford briquettes in a pinch. I'd drive out of my way for something better, though.

Rich

Ineffectual said:
here is after and before pictures of my first Primo cook. http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/Ineffectual/
Two things that could have been done differently was indirect and less unlit fuel. The fire was too close to the ribs. The ring was filled a little half way. I only placed a few (6) lit pieces of charcoal on top and opened vents all the way. Temp raised quickly. First time I used Cowboy. The bag I bought has a lot of little pieces.

Other than the burnt part the ribs were great
I think I am going to like this cooker :D .

Couple things for your next cook on the Primo. Leave the top and bottom vent open 100% until you get to 190-200*, then shut both vents down 75% and add your meat then close both vents down to where you only have about 1" opening. From there your temps will rise a bit but should settle in close to around 250*. Also drip pan racks to hold a couple fire bricks and a drip pan would prevent the ribs from charring.

I don't mind Cowboy Lump, it's certainly not the best but is pretty much the easiest to find. If I use it, it's for grilling vs. smoking. I find it will not give you much of a smoke ring. If you're having trouble finding another brand of lump, try your local roofing center. Yes roofing center, the ones around here sell Royal Oak $9 for a 20lb bag. Roofers use it to heat the roofing tar.

Ribs looked great to me!!

You'll do better each time you use it. Try to make a brisket next. I think you'll be amazed.... :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom