Reverse Sear - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Reverse Sear

Since I've been promoting the "Reverse Sear" (aka: Finney Method) here lately I wanted to show the results and the advantages of doing it this way. These pic's are of a London Broil we cooked at SOTB. It was rubbed down with WRB and cooked indirect on the raised grate (on the left) until it hit 100*, then finished on the bottom grate (on the left) until it hit 120*-125*. It rested for about 15 minutes then sliced. Notice the uniform rareness, versus grey bands around the outter parts of the meat and then rare in "just" the center grilling the conventional method. Also notice the moisture from this very lean cut of meat. That's all of the natural juices.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #2

Im convinced.

This method has my attention for sure. I haven't used my grill in a while but when I do, I am giving this a try.

Looks great Larry.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
BBQ Centralite

cool

www.DivaQ.ca

Life is too short for bad BBQ

Generously sponsored by:

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Alcan
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #4

Good stuff Larry. Going to give it a try soon.
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #5

I ate it. I expected it to be good coming from Larry, but I really was
surprised how good it was.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #6

Great looking steaks Larry, I'm gonna try that.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #7

Larry Your London Broil looks marvalous & I would love to dive in for seconds. I like a darker crust than your pics show & I like a crisp bark too.
Using the reverse sear It would be hard to achive a darker crisp crust & not overshoot a 120deg rare internal. My favorite steak is to duplicate a Ruth Criss steakhouse type of finish on the meat. Grill marks look great but a sear in a hot skillit over charcoals will come closer to what I'm looking for. Larry I'm not tryin to start no argument I'm only pointing this out for others to take into consideration. Every method of grilling will yeild different results.
Here is a PM I sent to Surfinsapo on this subject:

Glowing hot charcoal briquettes hit 800 to 1000 deg, The trick to a perfect steak is sear from the top, this is what a comercial salamander does. This stops the heat from rising from an under the meat heat source which give inconsistant results. The other + is even radiant heat up to 1200deg if needed.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-salam ... roiler.htm

Then in restaurants they finish the steak in the oven to the costomers liking. This does 3 things It puts wonderful crust on the outside, the crust is the same depth on both sides & the red or pink center is centered & consistant throughout the cut. When we grill steaks at home its tricky to be consistant every time. What I do is quick sear the meat as close to the coals or fire as possible on both sides, bring the remove from the grill & place on a warm plate with a pat of butter or Maitre D'hotel butter cover & let rest. This will make a rare steak For med put it in a 350deg oven for about 5 min.
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bond-jb
Larry Your London Broil looks marvalous & I would love to dive in for seconds. I like a darker crust than your pics show & I like a crisp bark too.
Using the reverse sear It would be hard to achive a darker crisp crust & not overshoot a 120deg rare internal. My favorite steak is to duplicate a Ruth Criss steakhouse type of finish on the meat. Grill marks look great but a sear in a hot skillit over charcoals will come closer to what I'm looking for. Larry I'm not tryin to start no argument I'm only pointing this out for others to take into consideration. Every method of grilling will yeild different results.
Here is a PM I sent to Surfinsapo on this subject:

Glowing hot charcoal briquettes hit 800 to 1000 deg, The trick to a perfect steak is sear from the top, this is what a comercial salamander does. This stops the heat from rising from an under the meat heat source which give inconsistant results. The other + is even radiant heat up to 1200deg if needed.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-salam ... roiler.htm

Then in restaurants they finish the steak in the oven to the costomers liking. This does 3 things It puts wonderful crust on the outside, the crust is the same depth on both sides & the red or pink center is centered & consistant throughout the cut. When we grill steaks at home its tricky to be consistant every time. What I do is quick sear the meat as close to the coals or fire as possible on both sides, bring the remove from the grill & place on a warm plate with a pat of butter or Maitre D'hotel butter cover & let rest. This will make a rare steak For med put it in a 350deg oven for about 5 min.
JB you are contradicting a cooking method you have admittingly in previous posts to have never tried before. Each time I have made a post in reference to the reverse sear method you debate it, but I haven't seen a JB video of you trying it to get a real opinion of it. Until I see proof you've at least given it a fair shot, your argument is a moot point with me.

As far as the crust on those particular steaks...........again, you're debating something without the facts. Just because they weren't blackened (see your catfish video) doesn't mean they were not properly charred. Everything doesn't have to be blackened.

Ruths Chris....................I went to one once and the only thing that impressed me was the view of Regan National Airport across the Potomac River I had out of the window we were sitting by. Other than that, the food was good, but certainly not worth the prices they charge. Even you could have cooked a better steak!
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #9

You are correct Larry I have not tryed the reverse sear. I will admit the last london broil I made I didn't care for the results, (Too dry outer ring & not rare enough) I will try your method on the next one I do. I don't like my steaks chard black, just a darker brown color.
Now Blackend fish rocks...

JB
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
God O'Que

Re: Reverse Sear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Where does the serving line start?