Remote thermometer - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Remote thermometer

any input on this..or suggestions on a different one ? I want to be able to monitor pit temp and meat temp...

http://store.everythinghome.org/maetresmth.html

john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #2

That question has sparked many a debate over on TVWB. Maverick makes a good remote that has both a high and low temp alarm. There was a bad run for a while where the range between the units was only a few feet to a few yards but their customer service was great in replacing the defective units. Some people had to go through a couple or 3 units before getting a good one but for the most part, everyone was happy in the end.

Now the Nu-Temp 701 is a remote and transmitter like the Maverick but it only has a high OR low alarm. It does, however, accept 2 additional transmitters for a total of 3 and it has great range.

Here's a special that Mords over on TVWB set up that is good ‘till May. Also, I would recommend that you do a search on TVWB and read up on some of the pro’s and con’s ~ There’s a million of them over there…
Old 02-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Web Celeb

I was one that did get a bad one, actually 2, but Maverick did keep replacing mine until I got a good one at no cost to me. I am very happy with its performance and it is much more economical than the Nu-Temps.

Not saying one is better than the other but you can use up to 3 additional units with NU-Temp to monitor more pieces of meat.

There are some other differece but they are very minor and can be worked around!

It's up to you and how much $$$ you want to spend. If money isn't an object than I would push you towards the Nu-Temp...if it is a concern, the ET-73 works great!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

I have, and like both. The Nu-Temp probably does have a little better range than the Maverick.
I use which ever I decide right before the cook starts.

I really like the High/Low temp alarms on the Maverick pit probe.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote