Regular BBQ Chicken Plain and Simple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
This is the last part of the meat I'm cooking for the luncheon on Thursday. They wanted BBQ Chicken, so I grilled thighs naked over direct heat unil they were done, then basted with a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays and Wolfe Rub Original about a 3:1 ratio. First time I've tried this and I loved it! They are in the freezer now and will be vacuum sealed and frozen until Thursday.

img_151801_0_23cbd700a146dfd93e5c835363717827.jpg
img_151801_1_9b0074c84d143d2e0a9020b1ba24d5b1.jpg
img_151801_2_b8da0d49ad1a2e4753b9b350d1e908de.jpg
img_151801_3_8930477bcbf056411fb7c671697da2d4.jpg

Looks great Larry! Are you running a take out place from your back deck?

Where does all this food go? You are a cooking machine!

Captain Morgan said:
looks good..how you gonna reheat?

Boil in a bag.......this will be a first with chicken like this for me so I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW everyone, this food is all for a work function Thursday, I'm not eating it all. I have sampled along the way though for Quality Assurance purposes only!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":16rz7upy]looks good..how you gonna reheat?

Boil in a bag.......this will be a first with chicken like this for me so I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW everyone, this food is all for a work function Thursday, I'm not eating it all. I have sampled along the way though for Quality Assurance purposes only![/quote:16rz7upy]

Looks good Larry, How does the vac sealed then reheated taste compaired to fresh off the pit?

I think this reheating thing is gonna be interesting...I wonder
how the skin is gonna do...good luck and do tell!

BTW, I may be doing a gig this Thursday for Jamie
of Road Kill grill...he had a stroke!

007bond-jb said:
Looks good Larry, How does the vac sealed then reheated taste compaired to fresh off the pit?

JB, it tastes just like it came off the pit. I have eaten BBQ, smoked salmon, pastrami, etc. that has been in the freezer a year or more and you would never know.

Greg Rempe said:
Larry, do you like the Primo better then the Performer in regards to how it grills?

YES. I can get up to grilling temps far quicker, the heat is much easier to control, the heat is uniform throughout the grill, a 20lb bag of lump will last me as much as I grill and smoke on the Primo for well over a month of cooking and I probably have less than a quarter cup of ash after each grilling session and only need to clean the ashes maybe after every 5th or 6th grill session....

Captain Morgan said:
I think this reheating thing is gonna be interesting...I wonder
how the skin is gonna do...good luck and do tell!

BTW, I may be doing a gig this Thursday for Jamie
of Road Kill grill...he had a stroke!

Thoughts and prayers for Jamie and family, he's a good guy!

I don't think the skin will be great on the chicken, at least I don't think it will be crisp! Actually I know it won't!

Captain Morgan said:
well, how'd it go?

2 butts, 1 6.5lb brisket flat, 15 pieices of chicken, slaw and 2 gallons of beans were demolished by 20 people (50/50 men to women). I took a sample of each meat and honestly the chicken tasted best by far to me. The skin wasn't crisp, which I knew it would not be due to the reheating method, but the flavor and texture was right on.

My final conclusion on vac sealed chicken is...................it's a winner minus the skin factor. I will definitely do it again and I will use the same method of cooking for now on for all of my BBQ chicken.

If the skin sucks, why not discard it before the final sauce. This would save the customer from testing it, and then schuppling it to the side of their plate. Serve with the sauce directly on the tender meat.
What's your thoughts on this???

Back
Top Bottom