Pounding steak for tenderizing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Now remember what forum we're on here :LOL:
I met a guy yesterday who actually travels to about 7 different restaurants during the day, and they pay him to pound their steaks for that night.

Now in all the years I've been reading these expert forums, I've never head any body say they do this. I've got a little mallet I sometimes use on tougher cuts of meat, but tonight I'm doing ribeyes. If pounding them would make it better, I'll try it.

Advice? And remember what forum we're on! ;)

Now Susan I've seen those but it seems to me that on a grill that could lead to the juices dripping out and leaving a dry steak.....I guess if that were true, then people wouldn't use them. I wonder if there is a difference between using that over a live flame or burning embers, as opposed to throwing it in a broiler or on pan.

Honestly Capt. I would have trouble hammering or Jaccarding my steak. If you get a good cut from a butcher and you know how to cook it well, you shouldn't need to hammer the poor cut, should you? :shock:

On a cheaper cut pounding or using a Jaccard can help tenderness, the finish temp will still regulate the juiceness of the product.
Jim

as fate would have it, I have TWO steaks in the fridge. Looks like experiment time tonight. Thinking about coating one in steak seasoning and putting it in a freezer bag with some woosh, then pounding. The other will get the same treatment without the pounding.

What cuts are they Capt. I usually get Porterhouse 1 1/2" thick cook to mid-rare...washed down with a TALL COLD BUDWEISER!!

I've pounded meat before to "stretch" it out, in order to roll it and stuff some sort of filling in it. Or pound a steak to make cube steak, but like Greg said if you purchase your steaks from a decent store/butcher there shouldn't be much need to pound the meat in order to tenderize.

Ribeyes on sale here to..look like nice marbeling on them. Ive not cooked them before (I m a sirlon lover) but arent they a pretty good cut that shouldn't need pounding ?

Wonder why the restaurants pay that guy to do it? I know at least one, Rossi's, has an impeccable reputation for their food. I assume they are buying a very good grade.

I'm with John ~ No need to touch a ribeye except with a little salt, ground pepper and a bit of garlic powder. 1" is a bit on the thin side (for me) so your timing will be a little more critical. Damn, I'm gettin' hongry!! :D

Bill Hays said:
I'm with John ~ No need to touch a ribeye except with a little salt, ground pepper and a bit of garlic powder. 1" is a bit on the thin side (for me) so your timing will be a little more critical. Damn, I'm gettin' hongry!! :D

Yeah, these were pre-cut. I'll do it both ways anyway, just to have something to do.

john pen said:
Ribeyes on sale here to..look like nice marbeling on them. Ive not cooked them before (I m a sirlon lover) but arent they a pretty good cut that shouldn't need pounding ?
I did a bunch of ribeyes back in the fall. Some were aged 21 days, some were not. The aged ones were exquisitely tender the others were not but they were still very good. I don't think I would pound the aged ones but I might be inclined to try it with non-aged.

okie dokie....did both side by side. The thinner one of course reached temp quicker, so it rested longer. There was a difference. The pounded steak was more tender. Juicy about the same. (ducks for cover)

What did you use to pound the steak...I am surprised it was more tender than the non-pounded?!?! Might have to try it!! :shock:

well, I had this silver hammer (I named it Maxwell) that was flat on one side and had these little teeth on the other. I hit it first with the teeth, then added that special rub I told Finney I was gonna get him weeks ago and didn't, then slipped in in the bag with Mr. Mist and Olive oil, and pounded with the flat side. I'm no expert, but that's how I'm doing it next time. :shock:

Captain Morgan said:
well, I had this silver hammer (I named it Maxwell) that was flat on one side and had these little teeth on the other. I hit it first with the teeth, then added that special rub I told Finney I was gonna get him weeks ago and didn't, then slipped in in the bag with Mr. Mist and Olive oil, and pounded with the flat side. I'm no expert, but that's how I'm doing it next time. :shock:

Swell name for your silver hammer.
I forgot about that rub... good thing you reminded me.

Back
Top Bottom