Pork Roast - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Finney
Actually cooking at a lower temp to slightly under your desired finish temp... letting it rest until temp stops climbing. While it is resting, get your cooker temp up higher to 'sear' the meat, then serve. It will not need to let it reat again because you are not changing the internal temp to a large degree when searing after cooking.

This is an AB thing.
Sorry for copying your post, but did you just say let it rest while cooking at higher temps? Maybe with that technique I "will not need to let it reat."
It's 5 o clock somewhere! Charleston, apparently!

Old 03-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #12

I took it to mean..Let it rest after cooking at a lower temp. While it's resting, raise the temp of the grill/smoker, then sear the rested meat, then slice and serve.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #13

You must be psychic! Or Chris! Or drunk with Chris!

Of course, that would make more sense. Most of the searing advice I've seen is to do that first. Which of course would make more sense, considering many believe that searing seals in juices. Of course, many think that is fallacy.

I'm sure Chris will be here soon with searing advice about phalus.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #14

Drunk?? Who's drunk???
Old 03-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
Web Celeb

We're not off topic yet.....but?????
Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #16

whoops....totally forgot the forum....Chris can attack me in general forum! :smt021 :smt100 :newb:
Old 03-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
We're not off topic yet.....but?????
LOL! I forgot what day it was...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #18
Official BBQ Central Mark

[quote=Captain Morgan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chris Finney":oq1auw9x
Actually cooking at a lower temp to slightly under your desired finish temp... letting it rest until temp stops climbing. While it is resting, get your cooker temp up higher to 'sear' the meat, then serve. It will not need to let it rest again because you are not changing the internal temp to a large degree when searing after cooking.

This is an AB thing.
Sorry for copying your post, but did you just say let it rest while cooking at higher temps? Maybe with that technique I "will not need to let it reat."
It's 5 o clock somewhere! Charleston, apparently![/quoteq1auw9x]

I think it must be way after 5:00 in MB.
Bill is exactly right. I think only you didn't understand that. But okay... I should have said, "While the meat is resting, get your cooker temps up higher to sear the meat". "Sear the meat, then serve".
And you are correct... I will tell you that searing the meat beforehand will not seal in the juices. It actually does the opposite. Higher heat damages the meat fibers making them release moisture. If you cook first at a lower temp, let the meat rest (letting the meat redistribute the juices), then sear... you meat will be juicier.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote