Pizza pizza pizza!! (lots 'o pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony M

Senior Cook
Saturday night my wife and I decided to throw a "Build your own pizza party". We had 6 adults, 2 teenagers, and 8 kids. It was a complete blast! Everyone enjoyed building their own pizzas. We had every imaginable topping set out buffet style. I was way too busy manning the grill to take pics, however we had a lot of leftovers and the wife and kids wanted to do pizza today. My camera had a full charge so here we go!

First, the recipies:

1. Pizza Dough (from Good Eats)

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
* 3/4 cup warm water
* 2 cups bread flour (for bread machines)
* 1 teaspoon instant yeast
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* Olive oil, for the pizza crust
* Flour, for dusting the pizza peel

Directions

Place the sugar, salt, olive oil, water, 1 cup of flour, yeast, and remaining cup of flour into the mixer's work bowl.

Using the paddle attachment, start the mixer on low and mix until the dough just comes together, forming a ball. Lube the hook attachment with cooking spray. Attach the hook to the mixer and knead for 15 minutes on medium speed.

Tear off a small piece of dough and flatten into a disc. Stretch the dough until thin. Hold it up to the light and look to see if the baker's windowpane, or taut membrane, has formed. If the dough tears before it forms, knead the dough for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.

Roll the pizza dough into a smooth ball on the countertop. Place into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.

Place the pizza stone or tile onto the bottom of a cold oven and turn the oven to its highest temperature, about 500 degrees F. If the oven has coils on the oven floor, place the tile onto the lowest rack of the oven.

Split the pizza dough into 2 equal parts using a knife or a dough scraper. Flatten into a disk onto the countertop and then fold the dough into a ball.

Wet hands barely with water and rub them onto the countertop to dampen the surface. Roll the dough on the surface until it tightens. Cover one ball with a tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.

Repeat the steps with the other piece of dough. If not baking the remaining pizza immediately, spray the inside of a ziptop bag with cooking spray and place the dough ball into the bag. Refrigerate for up to 6 days.

Sprinkle the flour onto the peel and place the dough onto the peel. Using your hands, form a lip around the edges of the pizza. Stretch the dough into a round disc, rotating after each stretch. Toss the dough in the air if you dare. Shake the pizza on the peel to be sure that it will slide onto the pizza stone or tile. (Dress and bake the pizza immediately for a crisp crust or rest the dough for 30 minutes if you want a chewy texture.)

Brush the rim of the pizza with olive oil. Spread the pizza sauce evenly onto the pizza. Sprinkle the herbs onto the pizza and top with the cheese.

Slide the pizza onto the tile and bake for 7 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Rest for 3 minutes before slicing.

2. The pizza sauce:

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 cup onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup celery, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
* 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 small bay leaf
* 1 teaspoon fennel seed

Directions:

Melt butter and oil. Add garlic, onion, celery and saute until soft. I put the garlic, onion and celery in a blender to chop it up fine. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour. Put in refrigerator overnight.

Okay, now the pics!

Getting the dough ready
pizza1.jpg

Cutting the dough to make three personal sized pizzas
pizza2.jpg

After shaping the dough, the fun begins! Go ahead... toss 'em... they're awesome!
pizza3.jpg

pizza4.jpg

It was so much fun I have to post one more...
pizza5.jpg

The dough is ready to go
pizza6.jpg

Spread olive oil all over the crust
pizza7.jpg

Hey, it doesn't have to be perfectly round... it IS home made after all!
This one has a little sauce, EVOO, fresh moz, roma tomatoes, basil and a little more EVOO
pizza8.jpg

On to the grill it goes....
pizza9.jpg

Wife is getting her combo pizza ready...
pizza10.jpg

Mine is pretty much done
pizza11.jpg

Look at that crust!!!
pizza12.jpg

Wifes combo is made and ready...
pizza13.jpg

Onto the grill it goes
pizza14.jpg

My oldest daughter wanted a good 'ol cheese pizza. She threw every cheese we had left on it, included fresh moz
pizza15.jpg

The cheese is about halfway done...
pizza16.jpg

All three pizzas are done!
pizza17.jpg

CHEEEEEESEY!
pizza18.jpg

Can't forget about dessert (for the adults)
Espresso Martini!
pizza19.jpg

Tony M's Espresso Martini recipe:

Into a container filled with ice, for each serving:

1 shot fresh brewed espresso
1 shot Godiva white chocolate liqueur
1 shot Kahlua
1 1/2 shot top shelf vodka

Shake it like there's no tomorrow, and pour into martini glasses. Very, very good!

Wife says Cheers!
pizza20.jpg

One more post...

Forgot to mention that I had a smoke box filled with hickory on the gas grill. Makes all the difference in the world for a great tasting grilled pizza! Even a 7 minute cook adds just enough smoke flavor to really tell the difference.

Nick Prochilo said:
Excellent pictures Tony! The stone you used, was it a special stone or just a chunk of marble?

18" X 18" X 1/2" Travertine natural stone. From a quarry in Idaho. I stack two to make 1" high. 2 bucks per slab at Home Depot. Make sure you get natural, non-glazed. Don't get the crap from China!

Mine cracked a little just because I let it get to about 900* F oops (hey, I had 17 pizza's done and quite a few shots of booze) and left the burners underneath on. But at 2 bucks a pop, they're disposable.

To prep the stones, scrub with water. Let COMPLETELY dry and cover with a thin coat of olive oil. Let bake at 300* F for a couple hours and you're ready for months of use for pizzas. Just don't let it go over 700 - 800* F or you'll get a crack. If you put a wet pizza stone on your grill and heat it up it will explode!!! Let it pre-heat SLOWLY, that's the key.

Preheat stones to 500 (about 30 minutes on my grill at med), turn off burners underneath. They will stay at 500 - 450 for over an hour after turning burners off. I start off with burners as low as possible and crank up a little after 10 minutes. If stones get below 450 just turn burners underneath back on for a few minutes.

Use rear IR rotis burner for pizza toppings. It works so great! It also keeps the stone at 450 - 500* F primo temp.

I've left the $30 - $40 puny thin fancy metrosexual pizza stones behind. Go find some travertine or unglazed quarry stone and you'll be just fine.

Killer post and great family fun. The pizzas look amazing!!! Great job!!! :D

Hey Tony I founfd some of the tile at Loews today but it was special order. It was $6.00 a square foot and wasn't glazed. I'll check home depot later...Thanks for the info.. :D

We did a big patio this year at work with travertine. I took 2 pieces home today each measureing 16" x 16" x 1" thick. Looks like pizza is on the menu this week!

got 1 for you
a friend works for a resturant supply n repiar buss. sometime thay replace the pizza stones at the pizza shops he got his hands on some good size stones we cut the brokens off an got 3pcs 2' x 2' x 2" so befriend your local repiarman, or pizza owner, yes you did real good,, :D :D great family fun, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: , long time ago my mom n dad did the simler thing but we used bagles for the dough 40-45 yrs ago still good memoryes your kids we look back :!: :!: :!:

Back
Top Bottom