Perfect end of summer dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivmage

Assistant Cook
Saturday's dinner was a rib-eye, grilled corn, grilled sweet peppers, baked potato and a skillet peach pie. Enjoy the pictures.

img_252053_0_15b9bab6fe2802b1bf0fd8973b6ef89a.jpg

img_252053_1_f31b4ed75f4a7454d34b12eaa1837355.jpg

img_252053_2_0c20d89073469704780dad9be70f46f7.jpg

img_252053_3_9919ac84b69adb2e18526c2db803a169.jpg

I've done steak, I've done corn (a lot), I've done bell peppers, however I've never ever ever done the skillet peach pie. Please do tell me how that is done, thank you!

Looks great Riv. I would like to hear the details on the peach pie myself. Did you do that on the grill as well or did use the oven?

Everything for this meal was done on the grill, including the pie. The ladies said it was the best pie they ever had. Swore to never eat an oven baked pie again.

The recipe I got the Better Homes and Gardens Grilling Special with a few mods that I made.
Prep:30 mins. Grill: 1 1/2 hours Cool: 30 mins.

3 1/2 pounds peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil (I traded the basil out for a brown sugar spice mix)
3 tablespoons cornstarch (Used white flour in place of cornstarch)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 15-ounce package (2 crusts) rolled and refrigerated unbaked pie crust (The Girlfriend and her mother made homemade pie crust)
nonstick cooking spray
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sugar

1.) For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals on one side of the grill. Test for medium heat above the empty side of the grill. Brush preach halves with oil. Place peach halves, cut side down, on grill rack directly over coals; grill about 3 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from heat. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce hear to medium Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as directed in steps 1 and 4.

2.) Cut peach halves into wedged. In large bowl combine peaches, the 1/2 sugar the basil, cornstarch, and lemon juice.

3.) On a lightly floured surface, roll each crust to a 12-inch diameter, Coat a 9 1/2- to 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Line the skillet with one of the crusts (The crust should be 3/4 of the way up the side of the skillet). Transfer peach mixture into the crust-lined skillet. using a sharp knife, cut several slits in the center of the second crust to vent steam. Place the second crust over the peach mixture. Tuck any extra dough at the edges between the side of the skillet and the bottom crust. Crimp edge. In small bowl combine egg and the water. Brush the pie with egg mixture; sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar.

4.) Place skillet on the grill rack over empty side of the grill (or unlit burner of gas grill). Cover and grill to 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, rotating once halfway through grilling time. Cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm.

Thanks, looks fabulous! And that pie recipe? Wow...basil???? I must try that, what a different idea!

It's a mix from a local spice shop (http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/). Here is the ingredient list

Brown Sugar,
honey powder,
our ground four corners pepper medley,
mild mustard powder,
saigon cinnamon,
ginger,
kaffir lime leaves,
cloves,
allspice and,
cardamom.

Last edited:

Latest posts