Not a bad day in the sun.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
Did some yard work today, grilled some sausage and beef.
img_187718_0_39bac9f9ad553c90b9cc0346383b1ae3.jpg

img_187718_1_31542a6d1c25c15585370fc1df0e312b.jpg

Did the salt thing with the beef, I was happy with it, but didn't think it was all that special. I usually get better results with my old standby marinade.

Looks mighty tasty! I was doing steaks tonight, but now it looks like chicken.

I agree that oftentimes the old, familiar method can't be beat, but man, your salt-method beef sure looks good. :shock:

--John
(Gotta get around to trying that.)

Justaguy said:
Did some yard work today, grilled some sausage and beef.
img_188307_0_31542a6d1c25c15585370fc1df0e312b.jpg

Did the salt thing with the beef, I was happy with it, but didn't think it was all that special. I usually get better results with my old standby marinade.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that's a top sirloin............IMO that's the VERY BEST cut of beef around and by far my favorite cut! The salting isn't needed for that cut, but maybe for less superior cuts such as a rib eye or similar! :shock:

Seriously, I'll take a sirloin of ANY cut of beef any day and that piece you cooked is cooked to perfection!!!

Larry I know you love top sirloins..but why? flavor?

I'm guessing it's tougher than ribeyes, loin cuts, etc...I don't mind
a little more tough for better flavor.

Captain Morgan said:
Larry I know you love top sirloins..but why? flavor?

Not Larry Cap but to me you hit the nail on the head - Flavor. Not as pretty as the others but better tasting.

John A. said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3lrwbhju]Larry I know you love top sirloins..but why? flavor?

Not Larry Cap but to me you hit the nail on the head - Flavor. Not as pretty as the others but better tasting.[/quote:3lrwbhju]

Really? More flavor? Sirloin over Rib Eye? Im really surprised to here you guys say that. I LOVE a good Sirloin but I think a good Rib Eye is even better. Sirloin at the butcher where I usually get my meat charge $9.99 lb for a sirloin and about $14.00 for the Rib Eye. Its all aged beef. Thats why its so pricey. To us its worth it. ( I usually end up with big 2lb. sirloin )

I can't explain why, but some cuts from the same cow just
don't taste the same as others, even without a high fat content.

Exhibit A is tri-tip. Dadgum, that is a flavorful piece of lean
meat. I love grilled ribeyes, with plenty of marbling, and yes
they are tender, but a well grilled, well cut tri-tip is just as good.

In restaurants over the years, I'm sure I've ordered more top sirloins than any other steak. At home, I'm sure I've grilled more top sirloins than any other kind. That doesn't mean I don't like the others (except I almost never order or buy NY strips), I've just always liked top sirloin. Rare side of medium-rare, please. :D

--John

Back
Top Bottom