Newbie - HELP with choosing a Charcoal Grill..ALL WELCOME! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savage_007

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

Im new to the form and would LOVE all your opinions and experiences with your Charcoal grills!

I have finally move into my own place, NO more roommates, and I am in need of a new Charcoal Grill! :D

I have been using a Weber 18.5" for the past 5 years, but it has been ABUSED and neglected due to roommates etc. SO time for a new one!

I welcome ALL opinions, pros, cons, problems you have experienced, favorite manufacturers, and what YOU are currently que'ing on!

I have seen the Green Egg and have experience with the cheap Weber, SO PLEASE HELP THIS YOUNG PITMASTER IN CHOOSING A NEW GRILL!!!!

Let the discussion begin!!

Thanks for your time and opinions!!

Jim

Now this could get interesting, all around best charcoal grill, let me think? Oh yeah. Weber, a Weber can do it all. Green eggs are great too, how much do you want to spend. It is more about the cook then the cooker, how much time do you want to spend watching it. What are you going to use it for hot and fast or low and slow?

Now this could get interesting, all around best charcoal grill, let me think? Oh yeah. Weber, a Weber can do it all. Green eggs are great too, how much do you want to spend. It is more about the cook then the cooker, how much time do you want to spend watching it. What are you going to use it for hot and fast or low and slow?

Hey Animal!

Thanks for the response!

I have been using a Weber for about 5 years, 18.5" with roommates.. The amount I want to spend is NOT a really concern of mine.

I want the best, my Weber is good, although it has had it's time and abuse so now that I have my own place I figured I would "hit the streets" and see what my fellow pitmasters have to say about it.

I love doing a slow Tri-Tip, I cook with LOVE, so the more LOVE the better!

I do not want to impress my thoughts on Weber to much, I fel the quality has gone down hill, I am only 30 but my Dad has one from the 70's and it is still ticking and in GREAT shape! The construction is WAY better...

My questions to ALL you fellow grillers would be:

1. Who, in your opinion, makes the best Charcoal Grill, and why? Pros, cons, problems, ect..

2. Who is the best manufacturer? I realize that there are plenty out there I just am trying to avoid buying and trying all of them...that would get spendy, so I do not mind buying once and paying GOOD money for the BEST!

3. What do you think the most beneficial things are in a grill? I obviously think quality but would love to hear from others that have experience!

I hope this thread gets a GOOD response and we get a great discussion from it, also to help other make future decisions as well!

Thanks again for taking the time to post! ALL info is welcome and MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Happy QUE'ing!!

Ill have to sit back and let the others chime in on this. I have many Pits, from local big box stores to my Lang I had delivered from Georgia, but for a "Charcoal grill", I will stick to Weber. What are you going to use it for

Ill have to sit back and let the others chime in on this. I have many Pits, from local big box stores to my Lang I had delivered from Georgia, but for a "Charcoal grill", I will stick to Weber. What are you going to use it for

It's for moderate use...something to use year round, and I like to que!

I want quality, ease??

What do you look for? What problems have you faced?

Thanks for your input! I hope this thread gets popular and we get lots of feedback!

Another vote for the Weber unless you want to have one specially built (from a very reputable company). If you want a grill specially ordered, let me know and I'll get a picture or 2 of mine.

If I was going to buy a new grill, besides a Weber one touch kettle, It would be...

Outlaw Model #2137

OR, This...

Super Pro Model #2121

But, Do NOT be tempted to get the optional side fire box.

Thanks for stopping in!

Might I ask why you would choose those grills?
What issues have you faced?
What are your biggest sell points with these grills?
What do you feel the pros and cons to a grill are?

I appreciate your time and hope to gather as many facts as I can from ALL my fellow grilling enthusiasts!

WEBER... enuff said

Thanks Nutz4bbq!

How often do you QUE?
Why Weber? Your pros and cons?
What is your biggest complaint? Praise?

I want to hear from you!

I love to grill so feel free to enlighten me with your opinions :D

Another vote for the Weber unless you want to have one specially built (from a very reputable company). If you want a grill specially ordered, let me know and I'll get a picture or 2 of mine.

Thank you so much! Who, if you don't mind me asking, makes your grills?

I would love to see what you use?
How did you find that company?
What are the benefits they offer compared to the good ol' Weber?
What did you feel the problems are/were with other grills?

Happy grilling, I can't wait to hear back from you Bob!

:rolleyes: man I love to grill!!!

Never had the pleasure of a Weber but I do own a lid which fits one and also a rib rack of that brand. They make good stuff. Now for grilling you need a gasser (Weber makes the best strangely enough)..and for making bbq you need an electric Smoker. That charcoal is nasty stuff..give folks a big old cancer and make the food taste skunky...etc. Get it off the agenda. For the Electric model try Smokin Tex. Its on my short list for Christmas. Welcome over here. Now if you are industrious enough to burn Mesquite wood to coals and break out the shovel..I will take some of this back. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would love to see what you use?
How did you find that company?
What are the benefits they offer compared to the good ol' Weber?
What did you feel the problems are/were with other grills?

Happy grilling, I can't wait to hear back from you Bob!

:rolleyes: man I love to grill!!!
The grill I'm talking about is the "Tailgater" made by Stump's Smokers. They also have a "Backyarder" which is a little larger than the "Tailgater". I also own a couple of smokers made by Stump's Smokers and they are great, well built, but you have to put in your order and wait on production. What I like better than the Weber is that they have more capacity and are rectangular instead of round. Well, Weber's Ranch kettle is larger...

transparent.gif

I don't have any pictures of the Tailgater (I thought I did, but can't find any :( right now)
Here's a link to the Backyarder. It might be more what you're looking for since it's larger than the Tailgater.
BackYarder

My Tailgater is smaller and doesn't have the skirting around the bottom, and it will attach to a bracket that lets you carry it with your 2" receiver hitch...thus the name "Tailgater".

I "found" the company at BBQ competitions in Florida and Georgia. Stump himself delivered my "Monster" to my driveway.

BOB

You mean to tell me there are grills other then Weber? When did this happen?

Touche my friend!

May I ask, what do you fell the biggest pros and cons are of the Weber? Or others you have experienced?

Thanks

Never had the pleasure of a Weber but I do own a lid which fits one and also a rib rack of that brand. They make good stuff. Now for grilling you need a gasser (Weber makes the best strangely enough)..and for making bbq you need an electric Smoker. That charcoal is nasty stuff..give folks a big old cancer and make the food taste skunky...etc. Get it off the agenda. For the Electric model try Smokin Tex. Its on my short list for Christmas. Welcome over here. Now if you are industrious enough to burn Mesquite wood to coals and break out the shovel..I will take some of this back. Thanks.

I very much appreciate you r response! Who would you recommend for gas? What other pros and con have you experienced?

I may pick up one of each! :D

The grill I'm talking about is the "Tailgater" made by Stump's Smokers. They also have a "Backyarder" which is a little larger than the "Tailgater". I also own a couple of smokers made by Stump's Smokers and they are great, well built, but you have to put in your order and wait on production. What I like better than the Weber is that they have more capacity and are rectangular instead of round. Well, Weber's Ranch kettle is larger...

transparent.gif

I don't have any pictures of the Tailgater (I thought I did, but can't find any :( right now)
Here's a link to the Backyarder. It might be more what you're looking for since it's larger than the Tailgater.
BackYarder

My Tailgater is smaller and doesn't have the skirting around the bottom, and it will attach to a bracket that lets you carry it with your 2" receiver hitch...thus the name "Tailgater".

I "found" the company at BBQ competitions in Florida and Georgia. Stump himself delivered my "Monster" to my driveway.

BOB

Thank you for the pic/link! That is a fine looking grill!

What other pros or cons between the two? How may do you usually cook for? What about warranty?

You think he'll drop it off in person for me...in California!? :grin: hehe, thanks Bob

Weber !!!

What is your favorite thing about your Weber, or the #1 thing you look for in a grill?

How are the grates these days, the one I had had thick heavy grates, which I liked...

I don't think there are many "Cons" to a Weber other than that it does not cook the meat for you ;) "Pros" they are easy to cook on, holds temperature well, great warranty, available almost everywhere, on the lower end of the cost spectrum and unsurpassed customer service. If you look at loads of older posts on this Forum you will not find many "Cons" to a Weber.

I don't think there are many "Cons" to a Weber other than that it does not cook the meat for you ;) "Pros" they are easy to cook on, holds temperature well, great warranty, available almost everywhere, on the lower end of the cost spectrum and unsurpassed customer service. If you look at loads of older posts on this Forum you will not find many "Cons" to a Weber.

You won't find many "cons" about a Weber on other forums, either. Well, except some people cry about the cost but they don't mind spending money on a new cheaper grill every year or so. If they had bought the Weber (that didn't cost that much more), they'd still have that Weber and be money ahead.

You won't find many "cons" about a Weber on other forums, either. Well, except some people cry about the cost but they don't mind spending money on a new cheaper grill every year or so. If they had bought the Weber (that didn't cost that much more), they'd still have that Weber and be money ahead.

We're allowed to look at other forums? ;) Back in the day Greg said we weren't allowed to stray from BBQC, I have to broaden my horizons, thanks Bob!

Who is Greg? I seem to re-remember that name. :confused:

I thought that this was the forum for those who didn't or couldn't "fit in" in those other rooms.;)
Besides, how else are we gunna know that this is the best forum if we don't look around?

BOB

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom