Newbie - HELP with choosing a Charcoal Grill..ALL WELCOME! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Bob, I'll check some of those other forums, but don't tell Janet. BTW Greg is Greg Rempe ... He use to run this forum until he bailed on us and then he had an internet radio show until his computer broke down, I'm guuessing he must be on the unemployment line now ;) I do miss him!

Thanks Bob, I'll check some of those other forums, but don't tell Janet. BTW Greg is Greg Rempe ... He use to run this forum until he bailed on us and then he had an internet radio show until his computer broke down, I'm guuessing he must be on the unemployment line now ;) I do miss him!
OH! So Greg's the guy that HAD the show, but his computer quit working because of all the crazy sound effects, and because he visited too many pr0n websites? I think I remember him.:(:)
I understand bigwheel has a favorite forum, something like The BBQ Forum, or something like that?

Thanks everyone for the input!

So I happen to be cruising around a local Hot tub store and they had quite a few grills.

I was checking them out and I could't help but notice the "lack" of quality in the Weber from the one my dad has had for years!

What's with the cheap thin grill? His is made of a much better quality and thickness...

I also saw the Green Egg next to it, uhhh WOW, cast iron, thick grates, no cheap plastic?

Has anyone out there used these things?

Looks like it could be launched into space! Lol

Just some points, I would consider those Cons from the quality I witnessed in his Weber Kettle, which he claims he has had from 1979...I thought at first he may have just smoked something and was confused, but judging by the difference in today's new Webers seems to be a valid statement..

So I would have to question the materials they are using today, and are they even made in the USA anymore?

Thanks again guys, grilling season is upon us, well it always is but weather is more permitting, so let's keep this going!

Cheers!

Thanks Bob, I'll check some of those other forums, but don't tell Janet.

...and to think I was gonna share some butt :)

Humph.

butt.jpg

One of the things I like about my Weber is there is a lot of aftermarket stuff that keeps the gadget geek in me interested.

Cast Iron grates are my next "add-on", but there is nothing wrong with the hinged grate that comes with the One Touch Gold. If you go kettle, go gold. The ash pan makes clean up a breeze. For that matter the Performer is a great option, too.

Speaking of breeze, I am not sure, but I'd bet one of those eggs will insulate in windy/cold conditions better than a kettle. But sticking some mass, whether in the form of water of fire brick will help maintain the temp of the cooker.

Heck, tending the fire is the fun I love about the cooking. The great food and happy guests are just gravy.

If you want consistent results and no fuss, then I'd probably favor the directions Big Wheel is taking you with splitting that money into dedicated smokers and a gas grill.

And then, I'd still get a Kettle (or a WSM).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom