Newb needs help finding a grill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

406nick

Assistant Cook
So I have been thinking about a new grill for awhile and I really like the idea of being able to put a smokey flavor on my food but still do all the cooking in my gas grill. I have heard about some new grills having trays for putting wood chips in but I haven't been able to find which grills have that option. I am hoping to find a four burner grill with a tray and possible rotisserie so I can do everything. The tough thing is I am looking while on a budget. I am not looking to spend more than about 4-500 dollars so hopefully some of you will have suggestions on grills for me. Thanks in advance for the help!

If your going to stick with your gas grill, soak some wood chips in water. After soaking for 15 minutes, take them out of the water, make a pouch with aluminum foil and put them in the pouch. Poke some holes in the top of the foil and put it on top of your burners on the gas grill. This will work on foods cooked longer than 15 minutes. If less than 15 minutes, it probably won't give any smokey flavor. If you want a charcoal grill, Weber Performer or OTG.

Any grill with Weber on it will be fine, but if you want gas you won't be able to stick in your budget. Other than that do what Nick said.

Sent from BBQuzz's iPhone using Tapatalk!

I have done the tin foil thing with my old grill several times but it never seems to work the way I want it to. I realize that if I want something smoked I should get a smoker but I am already on the market for a grill so I thought why not try to get the best of both worlds. I suppose I could still use the pouch idea with a new grill it just seems to me that there has to be a grill out there (or multiple) that gives the option of adding smoke flavor to food.

Nick Prochilo said:
If you want a charcoal grill, Weber Performer or OTG.
I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but can't the Weber Performer be used to smoke also? Can't you bank the coals to one side with added chunks of wood, and cook on the opposite side? Or is there a better Weber grill for this? :?

BOB
dazed and confused

Bob In Fla. said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1m57nqs8] If you want a charcoal grill, Weber Performer or OTG.
I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but can't the Weber Performer be used to smoke also? Can't you bank the coals to one side with added chunks of wood, and cook on the opposite side? Or is there a better Weber grill for this? :?

BOB
dazed and confused[/quote:1m57nqs8]
I do it all the time Bob, Yard Birds, Griff Loaf, smaller Butts and Ribs, works great I would recommend the Performer.

bbquzz said:
Bob In Fla. said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":56cwoubw] If you want a charcoal grill, Weber Performer or OTG.

BOB
dazed and confused
I do it all the time Bob, Yard Birds, Griff Loaf, smaller Butts and Ribs, works great I would recommend the Performer.[/quote:56cwoubw]
I knew it was possible on some Weber grills, I just don't know the names of them. My Smokey Joe is just a little too small for something like that, and the last time I regularly cooked on a larger Weber grill, it was my old Weber Kettle. I sure miss that old fella. 8)

BOB

Most gass grills under $700 are junk in my opinion. I'd look on craigslist for a good quality used one. You can pick up a $700-$1200 grill for your price range. Get a Weber and you can't go wrong. It's really hard to get a good smokey flavor with a gas grill. Even with the wood contraptions. My advice is a Weber kettle. Light your charcoal in a chimny. You have to prep your food dont you? or shower or something while the coal is lighting. When your done close your vents and reuse coal that goes out. Dump the ash in a aluminum trash can. Keeping it clean will be way less work than a gass grill. It's $80-$120 and it'll cook circles around any gasser once you get the hang of it. Drop on a wet wood cunk on the lit coal (keeping the lid closed so it won't ignite) and you have perfect wood smoke.

22.5" Weber Performer or One Touch (gold or silver). IMO, an 18 incher is awful small if you are going to do some smoking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom