New to Grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butler

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I am new to the world of bbq and grilling (have been enjoying bbq at friends for years but have never actually done it myself). Saw a Traeger at our local costco and loved the whole concept. We are leaning towards getting a Traeger Junior and have a couple of questions to make sure we are doing the right thing -

1. Is Traeger advisable for a newbie? Is there a steep learning curve? We don't mind experimenting and love our meat, but I want to make sure before putting $400 into a grill.

2. We are in condo (Ground floor) and grill will be in our patio. Our HoA allows gas and electric grills. Can Taeger Junior be used in an apartment/Condo patio?

Appreciate your responses/comments.

Thanks,
B

I've never used a Traeger personally, it looks like an interesting grill. If you HoA does not allow for charcoal grills I doubt they would allow for a pellet type grill. Definitively find out for sure before plunking down hard earned $$.

Actually, my condo does not allow any grill with open flame. I was told by the Traeger salesman that unlike other charcoal grills, Traeger does not have an open flame.

Thanks,
-B

Keyword is "Salesman," I'd really ask the President of the HoA, to be sure. I assume the intent of the rule is the smell or smoke and what fun would smoking meats be without smoke or the scent of the meat?

Hmmm? I'd tend to agree with them up there ^^^^. Ask the authority having jurisdiction.

By that definition
my condo does not allow any grill with open flame
all of my smokers qualify because the flame is inside the firebox, and not out in the open. That also would "go" for any offset type of a smoker.

Mostly what that rules out would be anything gas-fired (or even charcoal) without a lid. :?

In most pellet grills, there is more of a smoldering than a flame and the ignighter is usually electric.

I think I'd ask and get specific answers. I do know of people that got their Big Green Eggs approved because the fire isn't flaming and the cooking is done with the lid closed.

Good luck with your quest.

BOB

Back
Top Bottom